Rath S6 3/4

TromboneMonkey

Rath S6 3/4

Post by TromboneMonkey »

Has anyone tried one of these? I'd love to hear your impressions.
DaveAshley

Re: Rath S6 3/4

Post by DaveAshley »

Yes. The rim has a different arc and the cup is deeper than a Bach 6 3/4C - a very different beast. That's about all I remember. I sold mine off a while back.
Fidbone

Post by Fidbone »

Yes, best 6&3/4 mpc I've tried but as with the Bach and the Yamaha Landgren I didn't get along with the rim profile! The biggest fattest sound of the three.
TromboneMonkey

Post by TromboneMonkey »

Interesting, thanks gents!

One of the things I like most about the Bach 6 3/4 is that it plays "small" for its rim size compared to just about every other 25mm mouthpiece I've tried. I have a bundle of mouthpieces in that size and at 24.75mm-- usually I have a hard time fitting into smaller than 25mm but things any larger than that play too big. I have an AR that I love, some smaller Bachs that I love, a Pickett that I love, but they all give me fits due to their small rim size. Whenever I size up, they seem to lose some of the clarity/characteristic high overtone series' I enjoy with the smaller sizes. I have some larger Warburtons and Elliotts that have shallower cups-- they just sound different, not better or worse. I didn't get along with the Nils (as much as I wanted to). The Corp. 6 3/4c I have hits the mark in the middle, somehow.

If I get the chance to try the Rath somewhere perhaps I will. It sounds interesting but it also sounds like I might not get along with it for the reasons I listed. I appreciate your thoughts-- you potentially saved me some $$$!

One last question: it lists the rim as the same size as the S7 and the S11-- is that true? How can this be?

I
Fidbone

Post by Fidbone »

It's larger in diameter than the S11 and the S7 is smaller than the S11 (Just).
FeelMyRath

Post by FeelMyRath »

As an aside, I much prefer the lightweight blanks to the normal medium-heavy ones. My L5BBLW just sings compared to anything else I've tried.
Making the world better, one note at a time

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
AEK

Post by AEK »

Any of you tried out a Pickett 7 and could compare it with a Bach 11C or 7C or 6 3/4C in size, feel and soundwise?
Ali Emre Kayhan
TRT Big Band
Rath R10
Doug Elliot STG99CC2
Sshhmute artist

Return to “Mouthpieces”