would you risk it?

samopn

would you risk it?

Post by samopn »

Doing my annual deep clean of my slide I was (as usual) dismayed but the amount of rubbish that came out and continued to come out...

..and it occured to me. Would I risk using a pressure washer in my slide to loosen those bits of crud that refused to be shifted.

Would you?
cigmar

Re: would you risk it?

Post by cigmar »

Absolutely Not!!!
mrdeacon

Post by mrdeacon »

Haha what? That'll blow your slide apart!

What you can do is use a garden hose. That's usually how I'll clean out my Euph or my slide is particularly funky. Just be smart.
Rath R1 2000s, Elliott XT
Bach 42 1974, Elliott XT
Holton 169 1965, Elliott LB
Minick Bass Trombone 1980s, Elliott LB
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Clean it more than once a year.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Doubler

Post by Doubler »

Why not just light some ladyfinger firecrackers and drop them down the slide first to loosen the crud, followed by siphoning nitric acid through the pressure washer to blast the remains away?

But seriously, Herco Spitballs do a very good job of removing stuff that ordinary cleaning misses. I used up about half a jar of them to remove crud that I wasn't aware was in a trombone I had purchased and had already cleaned with warm, soapy water and a bore snake before playing for the first time. I use Herco Spitballs after every week of use in all my horns, BTW.

You can prevent buildup in the first place by maintaining proper oral hygiene before playing. Flossing and brushing your teeth before playing will prevent pizza from growing inside your horn. You'll be amazed at the cleaning intervals if you follow this simple procedure, plus there's the side effect of your dental bills being kept to a minimum, leaving that much more $$$ to spend on N+1, accessories, lessons, etc.
Current instruments:
Olds Studio trombone, 3 trumpets, 1 flugelhorn, 1 cornet, 1 shofar, 1 keyboard

Previous trombones:
Selmer Bundy, Marceau
samopn

Post by samopn »

Doubler wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:01 pm Why not just light some ladyfinger firecrackers and drop them down the slide first to loosen the crud, followed by siphoning nitric acid through the pressure washer to blast the remains away
Now there's an idea....

Just so you know, I didn't and wasn't intending to... just an interesting "thought experiment"
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

I wouldn't. Too much pressure and a chance to mess up the slide. Maybe get a stiffer brush, or take it somewhere that has an ultrasonic cleaner?

I use the "Brass Savr" brushes at least once a month on all my horns when I am playing them, to keep the grunge from building up. Also I make sure I rinse my mouth out before playing, if not brushing my teeth. Keeps the crud out.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
Mamaposaune

Post by Mamaposaune »

You could also try a diluted vinegar soak, followed by the cleaning snake with warm soapy water. Then, with the soap and water still in the slide, cover one side of the opening with your thumb and work the slide fairly vigorously. (make sure to do this over the tub, or outside, and keep the open side facing away from you) This may give you the strong water pressure that you want through the crook, but will not damage the slide.
bigbandbone

Post by bigbandbone »

+1 on Spit Balls at least once a week!
walldaja

Post by walldaja »

Diet Coke and Mentos would probably skirt the legal issue of fireworks in the house...
Dave

2014 Shires Q30GR with 2CL
1982 King 607F with 13CL
Yamaha 421G Bass with Christian Lindberg 2CL / Bach 1 1/2G
Bach Soloist with 13CL
1967 Olds Ambassador with 10CL
1957 Besson 10-10
Jean Baptiste EUPCOMS with Stork 4
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

How about one of those drain augers (aka Snake) that folks use to clear their plumbing? That should get out all the "gunk"...
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns

Return to “Maintenance”