Sticky Rose Brass Outer Slide Fixed.

Pre59

Sticky Rose Brass Outer Slide Fixed.

Post by Pre59 »

I've recently started using a horn that I bought over a year ago with a rose brass outer slide. It was ok to start with, but the more I played it, the more sticky it became, specifically around the 2nd position. As time went on I was using ever less lube and more water, no matter how many times that I gave it a thorough clean, using Wrights brass polish, which I seem to remember was recommended by the Slide Doctor.
I remembered that I had some Isopropyl alcohol, and this did the trick on the first cleaning application. Result, a very good slide, which works nicely with Trombotine/water on its own.

So, question. What could have been in the slide that the metal polish couldn't remove but the alcohol could? And do brass outer slide require different maintenance to nickel ones?
tbonesullivan

Re: Sticky Rose Brass Outer Slide Fixed.

Post by tbonesullivan »

Sounds like there may have been some type of gummy or sticky substance down there, maybe on the inners as well. The isopropyl can dissolve that.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
Pre59

Re: Sticky Rose Brass Outer Slide Fixed.

Post by Pre59 »

tbonesullivan wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:59 pm Sounds like there may have been some type of gummy or sticky substance down there, maybe on the inners as well. The isopropyl can dissolve that.
I must have been some silicone that had set hard. I wonder whether adding silicone is worth the hassle for a small improvement, I also like the way that Trombotine on its own thins out in a more even and predicable manner.

Return to “Maintenance”