Greenhoe maintenance

Bassbonechandler

Greenhoe maintenance

Post by Bassbonechandler »

Hello,

I have a greenhoe that I bought used from before schilke bought greenhoe. It's a great horn, but I'm wondering if I'm oiling the valves too much. I find myself oiling them every day, sometimes twice a day. I store my instrument in a locker that can be cold but I'm not completely sure that would make much of a difference if I'm playing it most of the day. I have been using the ultra-pure light rotor oil. I do play my horn a lot every day, probably 5+ hours.
Matt K
Verified

Re: Greenhoe maintenance

Post by Matt K »

When you say you oil the valves too much,d o you find yourself doing it even though the action is still good or is the action not so good and therefore you use oil on it? If it's the latter, definitely take it to a tech; that's too much to need even with the amount of playing you do every day. If you just find yourself doing it, yeah that's way excessive. You can easily get away with once a day, usually much longer.
Bassbonechandler

The action gets sluggish.
paulyg

Post by paulyg »

If you are using a tuning slide grease that doesn't do well with ultra pure, that can cause sluggish action. The valve oil should not dissolve the TS grease- if it does, it creates a sort of slush that will slow down the valve.
Paul Gilles
Aerospace Engineer & Trombone Player
Bassbonechandler

Do you know of lanolin having problems with ultra-pure? Lanolin is what I use for my tuning slides.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

I don't think they work well together. Have you taken the valves out and cleaned then?
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Bassbonechandler

No not yet. I was thinking about taking it to a tech simply because I don't have a rubber or felt hammer. What tuning slide grease might get along with ultra-pure better?
Bonearzt

Post by Bonearzt »

Not necessarily the tuning slide grease itself, but maybe the application process?
IF possible, I only dump oil into the slide receiver avoiding the chance of picking up grease when oiling through the tuning slides.

I'd stick with industry specific lubes, such as Hetmans, the Bach red crap, and I think Ultra Pure makes a grease.
The old school stuff like Vaseline, and pure Lanolin aren't necessarily that good for our horns anymore...IMHO

Eric
Eric Edwards
Professional Instrument Repair

"If you must choose between two evils, choose the one you haven't tried yet."
"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles
paulyg

Post by paulyg »

Lanolin is pretty bad for this purpose... it thins in oil enough to crud up your valves, but not enough for more oil to clean the valves. Get some of the ultra pure TS grease (also sold by Schilke). It is almost as sticky as lanolin, long-lasting, and it won't clog up your valves.

In the meantime, if you don't want to get your horn chem cleaned, dump oil into the valve and work it around. This will loosen the gunk and the excess oil will wick it away. Push your tuning slides all the way in while you do this to avoid getting more grease into the valves.

The Greenhoe valves are especially sensitive to anything other than the thinnest valve oils because of the close tolerances. They can also become sluggish if the bearing plates are not installed firmly. This is something that a GREAT tech should be trusted with- not someone who puts nail polish on dents for the local school marching band.
Paul Gilles
Aerospace Engineer & Trombone Player
Inspector71

Post by Inspector71 »

paulyg wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:51 pm The Greenhoe valves are especially sensitive to anything other than the thinnest valve oils because of the close tolerances. They can also become sluggish if the bearing plates are not installed firmly. This is something that a GREAT tech should be trusted with- not someone who puts nail polish on dents for the local school marching band.

:good:
Michael D. McLemore
Former Owner/Craftsman
M&W Custom Trombones
Bassbonechandler

I've got a good tech pretty close to me that could do the work on my horn. In the meantime I'll buy some ultra-pure tuning slide stuff. Thanks for all the input!
brassmedic

Post by brassmedic »

How long have you gone without having the valves cleaned? You cannot properly clean the valves without taking them apart. "Flushing" valves without disassembling them is not sufficient.
Brad Close Brass Instruments - brassmedic.com
Bassbonechandler

brassmedic wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:42 pm How long have you gone without having the valves cleaned? You cannot properly clean the valves without taking them apart. "Flushing" valves without disassembling them is not sufficient.
They were cleaned right before I bought the horn. So 2 weeks ago.
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

Bonearzt wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:33 pmI'd stick with industry specific lubes, such as Hetmans, the Bach red crap, and I think Ultra Pure makes a grease.
The old school stuff like Vaseline, and pure Lanolin aren't necessarily that good for our horns anymore...IMHO
What's bad about lanolin?

I have some of the Hetman Slide lubricants. I'm pretty sure the Slide Grease 8 is Lanolin based. It looks (and smells) like lanolin.

I also have some of the ULTRA slide grease 9, which is a white sticky mess. It says it "resists breakdown" but I only use Hetman oils on my Bass (where I use it) and it breaks down usually after a few weeks.

I will have to get a set of the Ultra-Pure tuning slide greases to add to the collection.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
Bonearzt

Post by Bonearzt »

I'm speaking of pure, unforicated lanolin. Hard as a rock when cold, but runny when warm.

Yes, some, greases ARE lanolin based, but the other stuff mixed in makes it usable and stable.

Eric
Eric Edwards
Professional Instrument Repair

"If you must choose between two evils, choose the one you haven't tried yet."
"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

AH! Now I understand. Yeah, pure lanolin is just the pits. The Hetman #9 slide goo is still just a mess, but i guess if you had a really loose slide it would work. I need to go down to Dillon music this weekend to pick up a Euphonium stand, so I'll probably pick up some of the greases.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

A side benefit of a reverse tuning slide; the goop is on the outside of the tube.

Return to “Maintenance”