Best valve oil?

Gary

Best valve oil?

Post by Gary »

I just gave myself a Yamaha valve trombone for Christmas. Yamaha valve oil came with it. Does Yamaha know best or should I use another brand? Thanks.
norbie2018

Re: Best valve oil?

Post by norbie2018 »

Yamaha makes excellent lubricants; I use their trombone slide lubricant and rotor oil. I believe what you have will suffice.
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

For piston valves, the Yamaha oil should be fine.

Here’s some basics for breaking in new valves:
https://www.dummies.com/art-center/musi ... r-trumpet/

If you do decide to experiment, be careful mixing oils. Synthetics and non-synthetics do not mix well.
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

Yamaha lubricants, both their mineral and synthetic, are quite good. Yamaha really doesn't skimp on the basics like some other brands do.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
Gary

Post by Gary »

Thanks, guys!
bassboy

Post by bassboy »

Not sure what others' experiences are with this, but I've found Ultra-Pure valve oil to be miraculous. Everybody I've let try it, both on Thayers and rotary valves alike seem to prefer it. Haven't tried it on pistons, but I'm not sure it should be all that different.
Bonearzt

Post by Bonearzt »

Yamaha, Ultra Pure, Hetmans, Al Cass, etc.....

All good when used REGULARLY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eric
Eric Edwards
Professional Instrument Repair

"If you must choose between two evils, choose the one you haven't tried yet."
"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles
Neo Bri

Post by Neo Bri »

JohnL wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:28 am If you do decide to experiment, be careful mixing oils. Synthetics and non-synthetics do not mix well.
I've heard from several people recently that the newer synthetics mix just fine, but I'm still cautious about it.
ssking2b

Post by ssking2b »

I use Denis Wick valve oil on all my horns with piston or rotary valve. Over the years I have tried all the brands mentioned here, but hands down, the Denis Wick is faster, less weather affected, and outlasts them all.

I do use Yamaha Trombone Slide Lubricant (formerly called Trombone Slide Oil), or as it is called by some Yama-snot, on all trombone slides. It absolutely beats everything else - and Ive been playing since all of us used cold creme and water!
===============================================
XO Brass Artist - http://www.pjonestrombone.com
===============================================
Vegastokc

Post by Vegastokc »

ssking2b wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:17 am I use Denis Wick valve oil on all my horns with piston or rotary valve. Over the years I have tried all the brands mentioned here, but hands down, the Denis Wick is faster, less weather affected, and outlasts them all.

I do use Yamaha Trombone Slide Lubricant (formerly called Trombone Slide Oil), or as it is called by some Yama-snot, on all trombone slides. It absolutely beats everything else - and Ive been playing since all of us used cold creme and water!
I'm still using cold cream and water. :lol:
I tried to use that industrial size jar of Ponds from the beauty care products section but I think they changed the formula.
So I guess Y-snot it is! :good:
Michael Saffier
I ate twice as much lasagna as I should have...
Neo Bri

Post by Neo Bri »

How does weather affect oils and lubricants?
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

Neo Bri wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:10 pm How does weather affect oils and lubricants?
Depends on which one you're talking about. I don't live in an area where cold is a problem, but I've had bottles of Yamasnot go bad after being left in the car on a hot day. Valve oils (synthetic or petroleum-based) can usually stand high temperatures better than a human, so heat isn't a problem. OTOH, I've had both Schilke and Selmer tuning slide greases go thin in hot weather (and the Schilke stuff takes to smelling like an overheated sheep).

The one cold-related issue I occasionally run into is with my Conn 24I. I tend to get a lot of condensation in the valves in cold weather, and the condensation (mostly water) gets in with the valve oil and results in slow or even sticking valves.
mrdeacon

Post by mrdeacon »

Neo Bri wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:04 am
JohnL wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:28 am If you do decide to experiment, be careful mixing oils. Synthetics and non-synthetics do not mix well.
I've heard from several people recently that the newer synthetics mix just fine, but I'm still cautious about it.
Same.

Hetman is definitely finicky depending on what it mixes with but it's not a big deal.
Rath R1 2000s, Elliott XT
Bach 42 1974, Elliott XT
Holton 169 1965, Elliott LB
Minick Bass Trombone 1980s, Elliott LB
Basbasun

Post by Basbasun »

Vegastokc wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:50 am
ssking2b wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:17 am I use Denis Wick valve oil on all my horns with piston or rotary valve. Over the years I have tried all the brands mentioned here, but hands down, the Denis Wick is faster, less weather affected, and outlasts them all.

I tried to use that industrial size jar of Ponds from the beauty care products section but I think they changed the formula.
I guess you tried trombotine?
I used ponds & water years ago until the formula changed. Tried all stuff there is. I use trombotine.
Vegastokc

Post by Vegastokc »

Basbasun wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:42 am
Vegastokc wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:50 am

I guess you tried trombotine?
I used ponds & water years ago until the formula changed. Tried all stuff there is. I use trombotine.
I am actually mostly using Trombotine these days. (Its basically cold cream :P )
I remember not liking when I was younger.
But now I think it is the best value - especially since I usually clean my slides and reapply at least every two weeks. :good:
Also, I find it is pretty forgiving if you put too much on; It will be still be gummy but you play through it with a few extra squirts from the bottle. :lol:
I will also work in some Slide o Mix and the aforementioned Yamaha goo from time to time.
Michael Saffier
I ate twice as much lasagna as I should have...
Doubler

Post by Doubler »

Current instruments:
Olds Studio trombone, 3 trumpets, 1 flugelhorn, 1 cornet, 1 shofar, 1 keyboard

Previous trombones:
Selmer Bundy, Marceau

Return to “Maintenance”