Has this ever happen to you?

Trombone47

Has this ever happen to you?

Post by Trombone47 »

An interesting recent development with my slide:
Initially, when I start the practice or warm up time for playing, I find my slide is very slow around 4th-5th position to the point of stopping. However, after just a few minutes of playing, the slide is as good as it was on the first day I got it (10/10). I keep my slide clean and use Yamasnot on it (sparingly). There are no visible dings anywhere on the slide and the alignment has been checked. I never experienced this with any other horn I have owned. This horn is a Yamaha 697Z that I have owned and loved since 2007. Anybody had a similar experience?
Last edited by Trombone47 on Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BGuttman

Re: Has this ever happen to you?

Post by BGuttman »

Yes. I don't use Yamaha goop, but sometimes it seems that there is a little hangup when I start playing. A quick spritz of water often makes the slide great. I suspect it's a maldistribution of the water film that evens out as you are playing.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

I've had that happen with Yamaha 354's but only when they were new. Works fine, then suddenly just stops for no apparent reason. It seemed to be a break-in issue but I don't know why or what to do other than just clean it and start over.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

Hi :hi:

It has happened to me on occasions with horns but not a particular horn. My theory is a fragment of crap has become loose in the slide and has moved up to the inside of the outer slide and got caught there. It does not help to clean the inner slide because the problem is the outer slide. It can help with water or Yamaha slide oil but best is to clean the whole slide, also the inside of the outer slide. What ever causes the problem this helps.

/Tom
Trombone47

Post by Trombone47 »

Hi Tom,
Thanks for your input. I do clean my outer slide with the Slide'O Mix cleaning rod towel on a regular basis, but it doesn't prevent the issue. However, like I said in my original post, it is temporary and goes away within a minute or two as I warm up.
Bonearzt

Post by Bonearzt »

One suggestion is to use a bit MORE Yamasnot than you think, and also don't swab your outer slide as much.

Sometimes the lube needs to build up slightly to work well, AND you need to use enough lube to coat the ENTIRE insides of the outer tubes.

Eric
Eric Edwards
Professional Instrument Repair

"If you must choose between two evils, choose the one you haven't tried yet."
"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

Also, to make things more fun, EVERY SLIDE IS DIFFERENT. My Bach 42 slide? Use two part slide-o-mix exactly as it says on the bottle and it's good for almost TWO WEEKS. It's a magical slide.

I'm lucky if I get two days on most my slides before performance starts to degrade. And yes they are regularly serviced, cleaned, etc.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
Tarkus697

Post by Tarkus697 »

My Rath R2F (nickel silver slide) and my Bach 36BO (yellow brass slide) can go for weeks at a time in between swabbings, only requiring a spray of water or a drop of YamaSnot to keep them going. After swabbing, it takes a few days of regular playing to build up that perfect coating of goo between inner and outer slide but when it does, they're like glass.
------------------------------------------
Alan W. Verostick
Strangers
Philadelphia Freedom Band
Love City Horns
mrdeacon

Post by mrdeacon »

Tarkus697 wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:41 am My Rath R2F (nickel silver slide) and my Bach 36BO (yellow brass slide) can go for weeks at a time in between swabbings, only requiring a spray of water or a drop of YamaSnot to keep them going. After swabbing, it takes a few days of regular playing to build up that perfect coating of goo between inner and outer slide but when it does, they're like glass.
Right? For some slides there's a sweet spot for taking care of them and not taking care of them.

I do have one slide which I have to swab after nearly every use or it gets funky.
Rath R1 2000s, Elliott XT
Bach 42 1974, Elliott XT
Holton 169 1965, Elliott LB
Minick Bass Trombone 1980s, Elliott LB
whitbey

Post by whitbey »

I had this several years ago. Play loud and get the horn warm and it bound up.
My tech found if he flashed the length of the MP side of the slide it did the same.
He realigned the hand slide handle and it was fine.
Edwards Sterling bell 525/547
Edwards brass bell 547/562
Edwards Jazz w/ Ab valve 500"/.508"
Markus Leuchter Alto Trombone
Bass Bach 50 Bb/F/C dependent.
Cerveny oval euphonium
Full list in profile

Return to “Maintenance”