Yamaha Slide Oil -> Lubricant -> ???

harrisonreed

Yamaha Slide Oil -> Lubricant -> ???

Post by harrisonreed »

Hey all,

I am a semi-fan of the Yamaha Slide Lubricant product. It is not as great as a full swabbing and trombotine/superslick, but it is compatible with a slide already treated that way and sometimes I just get lazy, or it's the middle of a gig and you gotta do what you gotta do. Very good alternative.

I was aware that this had been sold as the Yamaha Slide Oil in the past, and then was repacked as Yamaha Slide Lubricant in a thinner bottle with a weird silicone applicator disc. Well, I went to use some the other day and the silicone applicator literally had disintegrated and chunks of it wound up all over my slide. Bummer. I never really trusted that disc. Never...

Well, I live in Japan, and every music store here will carry the full line of Yamaha maintenance stuff, even if they don't sell trombones or brass. So I went to grab a new bottle, and I'm met with this big fat bottle that says "Yamaha Slide Lubricant", but it's got the old Slide Oil applicator nozzle. No more disc. Everywhere I've gotten it recently in the states has been the silicone disc version.

Has anyone seen this change yet in the states? I've yet to see if they've reformulated what's in the bottle here, but I'll let you know if it's the same product.

Then again, if you weren't careful with the old stuff about shaking it well, you'd swear it was the greatest thing ever until about the third use, which was all it took to use up all of the magic part of the mixture that settles on top. I'll be sure to account for that when testing the new bottle.
RichC

Re: Yamaha Slide Oil -> Lubricant -> ???

Post by RichC »

Yup, bought a bottle recently to try and it has the nozzle. Last time I tried it, had the disk, which came off with the top. Don't know if the product has changed though.
PaulT

Post by PaulT »

Yep, new bottle. I ordered some off of Amazon a couple months ago and was surprised by the change. I liked the old bottle. But, I like the new bottle better. It works a little niftier for applying the stuff the Yamaha way:
https://yamahaeducatorsuite.com/how-to- ... one-slides

(ok, so the difference is minor. Both bottles work just fine. It is what it is.)
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

I've never had a single issue with the Yamaha applicator, from the curved disk, to the flat disk, to the new one.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

I never really did until it essentially turned into soap and rubber chunks and dissolved onto my slide.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

I bought one last year that was still the rubber disk. (In Utah)
KingOfDreamland

Post by KingOfDreamland »

I just recently got a bottle that is the new style. I had to do a double-take to see if it was even the same stuff, but the folks in the store assured me that it was.

With the old style bottles, I had an issue with the disc popping out, resulting in about 1/4 a bottle's worth of snot being dumped on my slide and anything else in the nearby vicinity awhile back, and I never could get the disc to seal properly after it popped out, so I for one am happy to hear that they redesigned the applicator.
Lead Trombonist - Bent Bell Brass Band, Omaha, NE
King of the Frankenbones! 2x Schiller Studio .547, Bach 36K/42B slide project coming soon, Conn 4H jazzer
ssking2b

Post by ssking2b »

One of my friends, a pro player in NYC called someone he knows with Yamaha. He was told the formula is unchanged, but the packaging has. No more funky little disk.
===============================================
XO Brass Artist - http://www.pjonestrombone.com
===============================================
boneberg

Post by boneberg »

Best lubricant out there! I have tried literally everything over the last 40 years - nothing compares to the Yama Lub. Disk has always worked great for me!
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

Great stuff, never any issues

Return to “Maintenance”