Gummy Valve

Neo Bri

Gummy Valve

Post by Neo Bri »

I have a newer Conn with a rotor valve on it. It's always been a slow, gummy valve. What's the deal? Is it a too tight-fitting valve? Is it crappy manufacturing? Or is it just dirty? What would you recommend? I have never had this problem on Bach and Yamaha valves.
tbonesullivan

Re: Gummy Valve

Post by tbonesullivan »

How long have you had it? What type of valve oil do you use with it? Have you tried detaching the linkage to see which part is sticking?
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
Neo Bri

Post by Neo Bri »

I've had the horn for maybe 6 months and bought used. I've been flooding the valve with Blue Juice and using Hetmanns for the linkages and bearings. When I oil the valve, it gets better for a day or two, and then it's gummy again. I haven't detached the linkage, but that's a good idea. However, I'm sure it's the rotor in the casing because oiling the valve helps.

In fact, I have a few horns with slides kind of like that.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Take it apart, clean it out.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

Burgerbob wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:45 am Take it apart, clean it out.
seconded. If there is "crud" in there, no amount of oiling is gonna get it out.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
sacfxdx

Post by sacfxdx »

I had a similar issue and it was a mis-adjusted linkage. disassembly and cleaning would be a good idea too. Then you do not have to guess what the valve looks like (crud-wise).
Steve
FullPedalTrombonist

Post by FullPedalTrombonist »

I pulled my 42 out of storage after years and I had to wet sand the valve core. The oil just got nasty in there and hasn’t been bad at all before even with how seldom I need to play it. Maybe it got too hot.

Much less extreme measures had to be taken after switching valve oil. Sometimes they don’t play well together I guess. A good cleaning and reapplication of oil always does the trick.

Return to “Maintenance”