First Trigger Mechanism

RoscoTrombone

First Trigger Mechanism

Post by RoscoTrombone »

Hey all,

My first trigger mechanism has gone really noisy/clanky compared to the 2nd.

Fixing things whether it's DIY or something else isn't my strong point & I don't want to randomly try and find out what's causing it myself because I'll end up making it worse!

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what's causing it/potential solution?

Thanks in advance,

Ross
hyperbolica

Re: First Trigger Mechanism

Post by hyperbolica »

Oiling it is the simplest solution that might work. Put oil on the pivot points of the mechanism and remove the slide and put some oil down the slide receiver into the valve while working the valve.

The next step after that is to take it apart, clean and lube. Maybe you should take it to a repair shop.
FOSSIL

Post by FOSSIL »

I cannot remember what your setup looks like...a photo will be needed. First off oil the linkage joints with a heavy oil and the spindle shaft on the linkàge side with light oil just as Hyper said. Don't dismantle anything if you don't feel confident.
Ross lives not too far away, but we are in Lockdown in Scotland so visits are off.

Chris
RoscoTrombone

Post by RoscoTrombone »

I have oiled it which I do regularly anyway but it's still a lot noisier than the other one.

I was having issues a few months ago as it kept sticking but the repair guy and myself discovered it was being caused by using his non petroleum based oil so switched it back and it's been much better. It's just noisy.

Also I've noticed that the spindle lines aren't exactly matching up with the notch where the valve cap covers,I'm not sure if that is adding to it as well.

In terms of posting pics...I've not figured out how to do that on here but will try.

Ross
RoscoTrombone

Post by RoscoTrombone »

Hopefully this has worked
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RoscoTrombone

Post by RoscoTrombone »

And the rest
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
paulyg

Post by paulyg »

Are you sure you are oiling it enough? That bearing looks bone-dry.

Best way to check valve alignment is with a flashlight or endoscope looking down the tube, not using the witness marks on the bearing plate.
Paul Gilles
Aerospace Engineer & Trombone Player
brassmedic

Post by brassmedic »

The bearing cap was put on in the wrong position, so the witness marks don't mean anything. The notch at the bottom of the bearing cap should line up with the notch in the valve casing. (Although it's possible that's being distorted by the camera angle - hard to tell.)
Brad Close Brass Instruments - brassmedic.com
RoscoTrombone

Post by RoscoTrombone »

Is this what you mean Brad?

Return to “Maintenance”