Rotor Disassembly

walldaja

Rotor Disassembly

Post by walldaja »

I've been wanting to do a thorough cleaning of my rotor on my Courtios for some time--every once in a while it wants to stick. Well, thanks to COVID-19 I decided to leap into the fray. Thanks to Burgerbob for his video and a fine one I got from Switzerland--it didn't help my lack of understanding of Swiss.

Luckily I have a mechanical linkage so I didn't have to mess with restringing. It actually came apart quite easily. OMG, was it a mess inside! Spent some time really cleaning the scum out of the rotor and the cavity.

So far, the easy part. Now the part I wasn't looking forward to--reassembly. Gave everything a liberal shot of lubricant and everything dropped into place. I ended up taking it out and putting it back in several times just to prove I put it together properly.

Put the horn together and tried it. I was a little surprised when it actually played a Bb and an F by using the trigger. I was most amazed by the ease of actuation and silence of the valve action. I obviously waited a little to long because I thought it rocket science.

Like most mechanical things, take it slowly, pay attention to how it comes apart (take pictures if you wish) and don't resort to brute force over finess.
Dave

2014 Shires Q30GR with 2CL
1982 King 607F with 13CL
Yamaha 421G Bass with Christian Lindberg 2CL / Bach 1 1/2G
Bach Soloist with 13CL
1967 Olds Ambassador with 10CL
1957 Besson 10-10
Jean Baptiste EUPCOMS with Stork 4
harrisonreed

Re: Rotor Disassembly

Post by harrisonreed »

It's dead easy to do.
Neo Bri

Re: Rotor Disassembly

Post by Neo Bri »

walldaja wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:06 pm I've been wanting to do a thorough cleaning of my rotor on my Courtios for some time--every once in a while it wants to stick. Well, thanks to COVID-19 I decided to leap into the fray. Thanks to Burgerbob for his video and a fine one I got from Switzerland--it didn't help my lack of understanding of Swiss.

Luckily I have a mechanical linkage so I didn't have to mess with restringing. It actually came apart quite easily. OMG, was it a mess inside! Spent some time really cleaning the scum out of the rotor and the cavity.

So far, the easy part. Now the part I wasn't looking forward to--reassembly. Gave everything a liberal shot of lubricant and everything dropped into place. I ended up taking it out and putting it back in several times just to prove I put it together properly.

Put the horn together and tried it. I was a little surprised when it actually played a Bb and an F by using the trigger. I was most amazed by the ease of actuation and silence of the valve action. I obviously waited a little to long because I thought it rocket science.

Like most mechanical things, take it slowly, pay attention to how it comes apart (take pictures if you wish) and don't resort to brute force over finess.
Nice job!

Return to “Maintenance”