Water in a Hagmann valve case?

vetsurginc

Water in a Hagmann valve case?

Post by vetsurginc »

I'm evaluating a Rath R9 bass for purchase(from Dillon). Horn is in good shape overall as far as cosmetics. Outside of lead pipe showed corrosion but not bad, suggesting the horn didn't get a lot of maintinance. Playing was good, But as the afternoon wore on I noticed the F valve was being inconsistent: a couple of times almost stuck open, and a point of slight resistence as the valve opened (this was not every time and was not noticeable in the first two hours of playing. I took the caps off and noticed a few drops of water in the F valve case. No obvious corrosion. Oiled the casing via the holes in the inner casing using Superslick). Closed the caps and also oiled the spindle (same oil - lightest I have at the moment). Some improvement. My son noticed a slight scratchy sound on that valve. No sound or issues with the second valve (independent).

Also noticed while oiling that pushing in on the spindle of the second valve it would depress, then pop right back. The F valve depressed with a click sound and did not immediately return. The slowdown part of the valve movement not associated with this movement.

Water drops (three) in the valve case? None in the second valve. Is this pretty normal or indicative of significant valve wear?

I'm thinking corrosion in the valve case and spindle shaft. Send it back or is this a cleaning thing? I'm still in the trial period so it can go back. No Rath dealers nearby (South Florida)

Thanks for your thoughts. Never had a Hagmann valve before, just Holtons 1972 rotors. The horn plays great. But....
Burgerbob

Re: Water in a Hagmann valve case?

Post by Burgerbob »

I think water in Hagmanns is a common thing. Not sure if it's related to valve wear, actually.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
vetsurginc

Re: Water in a Hagmann valve case?

Post by vetsurginc »

Good news. Disassembled and thorough cleaning of the valve has it running nice again.

Return to “Maintenance”