What’s your favorite tuning slide grease?

Elow

What’s your favorite tuning slide grease?

Post by Elow »

Just looking to see what everyone’s go to tuning slide grease is. I normally use lanolin, but something tragic happened today. I ran out, my other options are super slick tuning slide grease and vasoline. Both seem to have the same thickness, I hate them both. So i’m just seeing if anyone uses something different.
BGuttman

Re: What’s your favorite tuning slide grease?

Post by BGuttman »

Dow Corning silicone grease (pretty common in chemistry labs) works very well. Little thicker than Vaseline and thinner than Lanolin. Available from McMaster-Carr. A tube will last about 3 lifetimes.

I've tried UltraPure. The light grease is a little thin; probably like the Super Slick. But they have a heavier grade that may be just the ticket.

I used to have a tube of grease for Thompson shafts. Label fell off years ago and I have no idea what it is, but it was the best stuff I ever used.

I don't like the red goop from Selmer, but some do.

There have been some reports of using STP oil treatment. I think I tried this back when I used to do my own oil changes since enough will stick to the walls of the can to last for quite a while. But it smelled pretty bad and stained my clothes.

I don't like Vaseline after I discovered it was turning green from the copper in my tuning slide.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Elow

Post by Elow »

I mix the lanolin with red goop from bach to thin it up a bit
Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

BGuttman wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:52 pm
I've tried UltraPure. The light grease is a little thin; probably like the Super Slick. But they have a heavier grade that may be just the ticket.
I use the heavy grade for the main tuning slide and the ball-and-socket joints of valve linkage. I use the lighter grade for the tuning crooks for F and G-flat valves. Works a treat!
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
noordinaryjoe

Post by noordinaryjoe »

Someone turned me onto LeBlanc Slid-Eze slide and cork grease years ago, seems just about perfect.

Small tube has plenty of grease for ages, but still doesn't take up much room in the case.

My $.02
Yamaha YBL-612R II
YSL-651
Schiller Heritage Bb/C (YSL-350C clone)
Pirate
marccromme

Post by marccromme »

Red goop from seller branded as cork barrel grease works really well if applied very thin. Lasts for many weeks before reapplying. Sticks fine, slides don't move on their own.

For tuba valve slides I need to move for fine tuning, I apply it, remove with dry paper, and give five drops of piston valve oil, then work the slide, occasionally with an extra drop, just until it sticks very little.
bigbandbone

Post by bigbandbone »

Selmer tuning slide and cork grease.
bbocaner

Post by bbocaner »

spacefiller ts is my favorite, but it's hard to find, so I often substitute hetman number 7 -- but that tends to wash off much faster.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Ultra-Pure. I match my valve and slide oils so they aren't interacting a bad way.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Hetmans. See Aidan's post, above.
GabrielRice

Post by GabrielRice »

Hetman Slide Gel Plus, for the same reason as Aiden. It's important, because you want your tuning slide grease to be able to be dissolved by your valve oil. That's right, you do.

Please don't use Vaseline or that Dow-Corning stuff. The Dow-Corning doesn't dissolve, it just moves around. I used it for a while, and when my horn was getting cleaned they found it built up inside the valve tubing.
bassbone721

Post by bassbone721 »

All Hetman's here too! Hetman 7 specifically.
BrianJohnston

Post by BrianJohnston »

Monster oil.
Fort Wayne Philharmonic
Doubler

Post by Doubler »

Schilke Tuning Slide Grease. It's versatile. It'll keep lose slides from moving and enable tight slides to move.
Current instruments:
Olds Studio trombone, 3 trumpets, 1 flugelhorn, 1 cornet, 1 shofar, 1 keyboard

Previous trombones:
Selmer Bundy, Marceau
pedrombon

Post by pedrombon »

La Tromba.
Sonas Artist
Granada Brass
Orquesta Ciudad de Almería
sporto

Post by sporto »

anhydrous lanolin & beeswax, equal parts
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

sporto wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:49 am anhydrous lanolin & beeswax, equal parts
Wow. Doesn't that get kinda gummy?
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
sporto

Post by sporto »

anhydrous lanolin & beeswax, equal parts

I found the lanolin alone is very temperature sensitive. So yeah, the anhydrous lanolin & beeswax, equal parts below 65 degrees is gummy. But the beeswax keeps the lanolin from getting too thin on hot days.
Elow

Post by Elow »

sporto wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:25 am anhydrous lanolin & beeswax, equal parts

I found the lanolin alone is very temperature sensitive. So yeah, the anhydrous lanolin & beeswax, equal parts below 65 degrees is gummy. But the beeswax keeps the lanolin from getting too thin on hot days.
I live in florida and i’ve never experienced my lanolin like that. I also haven’t had any problems with it being too thing.
Bonearzt

Post by Bonearzt »

I usetime the red crap from Conn-Selmer, my go to for a long time! Although it seems to be less slightly thinner and less sticky now.

And to rehash a pet peeve...
If you need a thick grease or o-ring to keep your tuning slides in position, you need to have them fitted correctly!!
Eric Edwards
Professional Instrument Repair

"If you must choose between two evils, choose the one you haven't tried yet."
"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles
sporto

Post by sporto »

And the beeswax keeps the lanolin from going semi-solid at cold temps
sacfxdx

Post by sacfxdx »

Steve
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

I mix my own with two primary ingredients:

*Generic tuning slide grease (leftovers) that are donated to me by a local retailer when their rentals are returned. These are the little tubs of tuning slide grease that is very similar to Schilke's tuning slide grease.
*Lanolin

I make three mixes (these percentages are approximations).....

1. Fast moving grease for 1st and 3rd tuning slides on trumpets and "active while playing" tuning slides on other instruments (baritones and tubas). This is about 70% generic grease, 20% lanolin and 5% petroleum-based valve oil.

2. Cold weather tuning slide grease (because the lanolin can get stiff in the colder weather). This is about 50% generic grease and 50% lanolin.

3. Warm weather tuning slide grease. This is about 35% generic grease and 65% lanolin.

I usually mix my tuning slide greases in a Cool-Whip container and blend them slowly by using a microwave oven. I melt the mix for 25-30 seconds and then stir with a popsicle stick. I repeat the process many times until the mix is smooth and consistent.

It takes a few hours to cool and then I check for consistency. If the consistency is not correct, I adjust the recipe and do the microwave/stir/cool process again. Once the mix is correct, I must heat it one more time and poor into smaller containers or place in the larger container for the shop.

I started making my own many years ago because I found that few brands were the correct consistency. Most tuning slide greases are too thin and the slide will catch or bind as you try to move it. A few are too thick and will barely move in cooler weather or an air conditioned room. I also thought that doing my own mixes would be a great way to use the otherwise-discarded tubs of tuning slide grease. :)
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
ssking2b

Post by ssking2b »

Selmer red goop on some slides and Dow-Corning on slides that move too easy. Yamaha tuning slide oil on tuba slides that need to move while playing (1st valve), and STP available to mix with any and all of the above in TINY quantity.
===============================================
XO Brass Artist - http://www.pjonestrombone.com
===============================================
btone

Post by btone »

Selmer red goop works best for me for most instruments. Just remember to store it upside down so you don't have to squeeze the plastic container much; they used to get very brittle with age. Probably planned product obscelence to induce the consumer to buy a new bottle every couple decades.
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

You mean, you want to move the tuning slide?
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

baileyman wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:02 pm You mean, you want to move the tuning slide?

Nah! I get 'em welded at the factory :twisted: :tongue:
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
dougm

Post by dougm »

I have a stash of the OLD Conn red tuning slide grease. Little square container with a flip open lid. Maybe from the 1970's? My teacher gave it to me in the 90's. On my last container of it, I've shared a few. I *heard* that the "new" formula is different. I appreciate this thread that I will reference once that last container is consumed.
Bonearzt

Post by Bonearzt »

I think the "new" red crap is still good, but just not as sticky as the old stuff.
Eric Edwards

Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

Eric,

I agree that the Selmer red stuff is decent. I used the old stuff for many years and have sampled the newer stuff shared by musician friends a couple of times. The grease itself is a good product.

I abandoned the old version red stuff many years ago because of the packaging. Those old white square-shaped bottles would crack in the corner and the grease would slowly leak and saturate the lining of the case. The leaky bottle ruined one of my cases years ago and I have seen the same thing happen to a few other people.

For many years, if any of my students showed up to a lesson with those square bottles, I would advise them to turn the bottle upside down and let gravity drain the grease out of the opening. I always feared that they would squeeze the bottle too hard and crack it. I don’t know what kind of bottle the new red stuff is sold in, but I really hope Selmer has changed its packaging.
Bonearzt

Post by Bonearzt »

Crazy4Tbone86 wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:47 am Eric,

I agree that the Selmer red stuff is decent. I used the old stuff for many years and have sampled the newer stuff shared by musician friends a couple of times. The grease itself is a good product.

I abandoned the old version red stuff many years ago because of the packaging. Those old white square-shaped bottles would crack in the corner and the grease would slowly leak and saturate the lining of the case. The leaky bottle ruined one of my cases years ago and I have seen the same thing happen to a few other people.

For many years, if any of my students showed up to a lesson with those square bottles, I would advise them to turn the bottle upside down and let gravity drain the grease out of the opening. I always feared that they would squeeze the bottle too hard and crack it. I don’t know what kind of bottle the new red stuff is sold in, but I really hope Selmer has changed its packaging.
Yes they have changed the bottle to a clear plastic, not sure yet how durable it is, time will tell...

if I encounter any of the white plastic in a case, I place it in a small zip-lock baggie.

For my bench, I drain the bottle into a small brush-top can, makes it easier to handle using the brush...
Eric Edwards

Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

Bonearzt wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:46 am
Crazy4Tbone86 wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:47 am Eric,

Yes they have changed the bottle to a clear plastic, not sure yet how durable it is, time will tell...

if I encounter any of the white plastic in a case, I place it in a small zip-lock baggie.

For my bench, I drain the bottle into a small brush-top can, makes it easier to handle using the brush...
Yes Eric, we think very similarly! I resorted to using zip-lock sandwich bags for holding the square, white plastic containers of red goop in my cases and gave the same advice to everyone. When I worked in the big shop, I would also drain the Selmer red stuff into a larger container and used a small paint brush to apply it. For a couple of years in the shop, I used the red goop exclusively because the tuning slide grease that was provided was too thin.

Glad to hear that they have changed the bottle!
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

Hey Everyone,

Look what arrived with a trumpet repair in my shop this afternoon......a (probably 1990s) bottle of the red Selmer Tuning Slide Grease. If you look carefully in the lower left corner, you will see that the plastic is very close to cracking open. This puppy is going to need a ziplock bag.

https://trombonechat.com/download/file. ... ew&id=5966
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Driswood

Post by Driswood »

I use ZAJA tuning slide grease. Used to be a pain during winters up north, but here in Florida I don't have that problem. It's pretty thick. I've been using a small tub since 1998. Tuning slide stays put!
Not sure if it's still available.

Jerry Walker

Happily Retired :good:

1957 Conn 6H
Schilke 47B
1989 Yamaha YSL-684G
Bach 6 3/4C
RConrad

Post by RConrad »

Crazy4Tbone86 wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:16 pm Hey Everyone,

Look what arrived with a trumpet repair in my shop this afternoon......a (probably 1990s) bottle of the red Selmer Tuning Slide Grease. If you look carefully in the lower left corner, you will see that the plastic is very close to cracking open. This puppy is going to need a ziplock bag.

https://trombonechat.com/download/file. ... ew&id=5966
There's a bottle just like that kicking around my father's house somewhere. I also had the Bach tuning slide grease that came in the white container with a pop top that looked like lip balm, wasn't a fan as it was too easy to get more than I needed. These days I use the Bach 2942 tuning slide grease. It's less viscous than the old stuff and a bit easier to get out of the bottle, we'll see if the bottle holds up better than the old white ones though.
Robert C
Elow

Post by Elow »

Funny you reply today. Happy day this morning from allied. I was so excited i forgot to turn the lights on.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MistedSwan

Post by MistedSwan »

How do you combine a two? Just mixing with a spoon, or heating it up in a pot?
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

MistedSwan wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 4:05 am
How do you combine a two? Just mixing with a spoon, or heating it up in a pot?
Got to heat them. Use hot water (60-70C).
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
OneTon

Post by OneTon »

Like a double boiler?
Richard Smith
Wichita, Kansas
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

OneTon wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:59 am Like a double boiler?
Or a poached egg cooker. Or just a hot water bath.
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Or just use Ultra Pure heavy slide grease. No cooking required.
muschem

Post by muschem »

harrisonreed wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:05 am Or just use Ultra Pure heavy slide grease. No cooking required.
I recently tried Ultra Pure in normal and heavy weights to compare against the lanolin+beeswax combination I'd used for years. I'm a fan - this stuff is great.
Mike Shirley

Tenor trombone
Austin Symphonic Band

Bass trombone
Williamson County Symphony Orchestra
sporto

Post by sporto »

50/50 anhydrous lanolin and beeswax
Wilco

Post by Wilco »

Just anhydrous lanolin. Works fine
Pezza

Post by Pezza »

Some goop I got in a tube nearly 30 years ago on a music camp! No idea what it is. Tube's nearly empty, so will have to look for more soon.
Am I a trombone player who plays euphonium, or a euphonium player who plays trombone? :idk:
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

BGuttman wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:52 pm Dow Corning silicone grease (pretty common in chemistry labs) works very well. Little thicker than Vaseline and thinner than Lanolin. Available from McMaster-Carr. A tube will last about 3 lifetimes.
I switched to the Dow Corning (silicone) grease probably 20 years ago after using lanolin on my various instruments (trombone, tuba, euphonium) for a decade. The silicone is MUCH better in several ways.

If you don't want to spend the big bucks for the Dow Corning stuff (or get it in that quantity) you can get what is essentially the same in plumbing (faucet) sections of the big box stores like Lowes and Home Depot. One version is Danco Silicone Grease (small tube for $4.48) and another is Oatey Silicone Grease (small screw top container for $3.78). Doesn't wash off like Lanolin does, doesn't dry out in the container, no odor, etc. But I do kind of miss the smell of Lanolin. The Romans used it for waterproofing their cloaks and protecting their weapons from corrosion. So it's historically cool, if not really as effective as a more modern substance.
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Mack Brass Compensating Euph
Amati Oval Euph
1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba
Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone
DE LB K/K10/112 Lexan, M&K GR Nickel leadpipe
1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Bach 12c)
KingThings

Post by KingThings »

ghmerrill wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 6:32 pm
BGuttman wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:52 pm Dow Corning silicone grease (pretty common in chemistry labs) works very well. Little thicker than Vaseline and thinner than Lanolin. Available from McMaster-Carr. A tube will last about 3 lifetimes.
I switched to the Dow Corning (silicone) grease probably 20 years ago after using lanolin on my various instruments (trombone, tuba, euphonium) for a decade. The silicone is MUCH better in several ways.

If you don't want to spend the big bucks for the Dow Corning stuff (or get it in that quantity) you can get what is essentially the same in plumbing (faucet) sections of the big box stores like Lowes and Home Depot. One version is Danco Silicone Grease (small tube for $4.48) and another is Oatey Silicone Grease (small screw top container for $3.78). Doesn't wash off like Lanolin does, doesn't dry out in the container, no odor, etc. But I do kind of miss the smell of Lanolin. The Romans used it for waterproofing their cloaks and protecting their weapons from corrosion. So it's historically cool, if not really as effective as a more modern substance.
Brake grease is also the same..... silicone and cheap.
I have to find out what my tech uses as it works well. Probably some Yamaha stuff.
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

Tuning slide?
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

baileyman wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:26 am Tuning slide?
Yeah, some of us have more than one. :shock:
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Mack Brass Compensating Euph
Amati Oval Euph
1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba
Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone
DE LB K/K10/112 Lexan, M&K GR Nickel leadpipe
1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Bach 12c)
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

ghmerrill wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:01 am
baileyman wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:26 am Tuning slide?
Yeah, some of us have more than one. :shock:
And not the 4 foot one in your right hand. ;)
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"

Return to “Maintenance”