Cleaning inners

MrZipper

Cleaning inners

Post by MrZipper »

I’ve seen glass cleaner recommended for cleaning inners. What does everyone use? Are there any brands or any chemicals that I should avoid? Can I or should I use alcohol? Ammonia? Vinegar?

I’m hesitant to spray my slide with windex, I’ve never used anything except a wet washrag and dish soap. Thanks!
marccromme

Re: Cleaning inners

Post by marccromme »

Soap water and brush will do the trick on most cases. Inside and outside. If you have calcium deposits in the inside, soaking with vinaigre for 20 min and soap and brush inside often is enough. Repeat if need be. Use some cork to stop the lower end of the inners, and fill with vinaigre.
Last edited by marccromme on Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

MrZipper wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:08 pm I’ve seen glass cleaner recommended for cleaning inners. What does everyone use? Are there any brands or any chemicals that I should avoid? Can I or should I use alcohol? Ammonia? Vinegar?

I’m hesitant to spray my slide with windex, I’ve never used anything except a wet washrag and dish soap. Thanks!
Avoid anything containing ammonia. It can damage the finish on your instrument! :clever:
Bonearzt

Post by Bonearzt »

Posaunus wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:46 am
MrZipper wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:08 pm I’ve seen glass cleaner recommended for cleaning inners. What does everyone use? Are there any brands or any chemicals that I should avoid? Can I or should I use alcohol? Ammonia? Vinegar?

Avoid anything containing ammonia. It can damage the finish on your instrument! :clever:

Ammonia is also bad for brass!!!
Eric Edwards
Professional Instrument Repair

"If you must choose between two evils, choose the one you haven't tried yet."
"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles
MrZipper

Post by MrZipper »

Thanks for the responses. I watched the Christian Griego video, and he just says to use “regular glass cleaner,” but doesn’t elaborate.
BflatBass

Post by BflatBass »

I used to use glass cleaner that has ammonia in it. Recently I switched to pure rubbing alcohol. It's what my local tech recommended. When I told him I was using glass cleaner he just shook his head and said to stay away from ammonia.
I use slide cream and water for lube and he said that alcohol is good for "cutting" the cream build up.
I dream of the day that the world will be healthy enough that I can play in a live ensemble again.
HGrobot

Post by HGrobot »

BflatBass wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:38 pm I used to use glass cleaner that has ammonia in it. Recently I switched to pure rubbing alcohol. It's what my local tech recommended. When I told him I was using glass cleaner he just shook his head and said to stay away from ammonia.
I use slide cream and water for lube and he said that alcohol is good for "cutting" the cream build up.
I second rubbing alcohol for this. I’ve been using a 70% rubbing alcohol solution for cleaning trombotine off my slide for years. It’s worked well enough so far and I’ve haven’t noticed any ill effects on the instrument yet

Return to “Maintenance”