Cleaning material

mickael57280

Cleaning material

Post by mickael57280 »

Hi, just wanna what you guys are using for cleaning your slide.

Everytime I must lube again, I wipe the inners with a paper and swab the outer with cleaning rod and terry cloth.

Once a year I fill the slide with some lukewarm water with a little bit of dish soap, let it sit for 20 minutes then run snake thru it, rinse well and that's it.

In the past I've using the Reka cleaning sponge but it worn out pretty quickly and disintegrate.

I've tried the Brass Saver but seems to be way to gentle on the outer.
Posaunus

Re: Cleaning material

Post by Posaunus »

My opinion:
Don't be afraid to swab your inner slides – first with the HW Brass-Saver to remove most of the moisture, followed by a cloth-wrapped cleaning rod to dry it out thoroughly. Just be VERY CAREFUL to not force the cloth through the upper slide for fear of damaging / dislodging the lead pipe – you must be gentle. My inner slides are mirror-shiny after i clean them (nearly daily).

As you have observed, the Brass-Saver will NOT completely dry the outer slide, but it is a good first step. It should be followed by a cleaning rod wrapped in cloth (or a Slide-O-Mix towel sheath) until it's "dead dry."
mickael57280

Post by mickael57280 »

Thank you.

Other members technic/material will be greatly appreciated.
Vegastokc

Post by Vegastokc »

I found that a basic cleaning kit for rifles/shotguns works well for between tub soaks and when doing slide grease changes.
Kits come with assortment of tips including soft metal bristles - used very seldom, if at all - and soft cotton swabs.
Cleaning rod is thin and light and fits in all tubes but I will second Posaunus's caution at the lead pipe area.
Whole kit can be found at "StuffMart" for under $20.
Replacement tips are cheap but I do mostly use the 3"X3" bulk cotton patches with the "eye" tip.
There are relatively cheap and nicely absorbent. :good:

I recently started wiping inner with rubbing alcohol and one of the cotton patches after wiping off old cream and before applying new cream which seems to help too. (Someone on this forum suggested it recently ; I apologize for not being able to cite that person right now :shuffle: ).
Michael Saffier
I ate twice as much lasagna as I should have...
mickael57280

Post by mickael57280 »

One question I ask myself is if between each lubrification I clean my outer with a rod and terry cloth and wipe my inners with a soft cloth.

Each year I polish my outer slide with wright brass polish then I fill my slide with water and dish soap and clean inners and outers with the brass saver.

Do I need a snake with more agressive brush ? Because nothin' comes out with the brass saver.
Vegastokc

Post by Vegastokc »

mickael57280 wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:51 am Do I need a snake with more agressive brush ?
I would not think so.
Sounds like you have a steady cleaning routine that works.
Should stave off most rust, corrosion, etc.
Once the power tools come out it probably needs to go to the shop or traded in for a new one. :lol:
Michael Saffier
mickael57280

Post by mickael57280 »

:lol: honestly if power tools is needed it must be a problem.

On the other hand I would never have think wright brass polish can get out so much gunk out of a slide, so much that I reconsider the Selmer Bolero I have on sale.

After a tech clean I was thinkin' nothing would improve, tried Wright and have done somethin' like 20+ pass to have it clean, think I have removed gunk from the 60+ years of the horn.
Bonearzt

Post by Bonearzt »

I HIGHLY advise against swabbing out your inner slide tubes!
The swab is either too loose to really affect anything or too tight and you force it and create a problem!

I don't care how many times anyone has done it, it just needs that one time someone tries it and screws up their slide and or leadpipe .

To easy to misalign the inner slide assembly or damage the thin leadpipe with a swab on a rod.

I know, my opinion and $5 gets a coffee at starbucks....

Eric
Eric Edwards
Professional Instrument Repair

"If you must choose between two evils, choose the one you haven't tried yet."
"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles
mickael57280

Post by mickael57280 »

Even with a Brass Saver with the slide assembled ?
Vegastokc

Post by Vegastokc »

Bonearzt wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:24 am I know, my opinion and $5 gets a coffee at starbucks....
That's $5 Canadian, right? :D

Seriously, of course your opinion is valued - especially on this topic.
It should go without saying that a light touch is always warranted when cleaning the inners.
OP obviously really likes a very clean slide.
I have always been a little nervous messing near the lead pipe and cork barrels.

Besides, isn't a little green gunk supposed to be good for resonance. :lol:
Michael Saffier
Wishbone

Post by Wishbone »

Speaking of the Brass Saver - any tips on how to clean the brush itself? I think it's great & use it often but over the years mine accumulated some lubricants that don't seem to come off anymore by just wiping
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Wishbone wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:07 pm Speaking of the Brass Saver - any tips on how to clean the brush itself? I think it's great & use it often but over the years mine accumulated some lubricants that don't seem to come off anymore by just wiping
I think you could just wash it by swishing in your sink with some warm water and Dawn detergent, gently towel dry, and complete drying in open air.

I do wipe mine dry with a towel or similar cloth after each pass through the slide, but can imagine some lubricant buildup after lots of trips through outer slides.
Driswood

Post by Driswood »

Bonearzt wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:24 am I HIGHLY advise against swabbing out your inner slide tubes!
The swab is either too loose to really affect anything or too tight and you force it and create a problem!

I don't care how many times anyone has done it, it just needs that one time someone tries it and screws up their slide and or leadpipe .

To easy to misalign the inner slide assembly or damage the thin leadpipe with a swab on a rod.

Eric
I occasionally run a rod and cheesecloth through my inners, but only after removing my leadpipe. I don't make it tight, and don't force it. Last thing I want to do is dislodge the tube from the cork barrel!
Jerry Walker

Happily Retired :good:

1957 Conn 6H
Schilke 47B
1989 Yamaha YSL-684G
Bach 6 3/4C
Bonearzt

Post by Bonearzt »

Wishbone wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:07 pm Speaking of the Brass Saver - any tips on how to clean the brush itself? I think it's great & use it often but over the years mine accumulated some lubricants that don't seem to come off anymore by just wiping
Try a little valve oil, WD40 or mineral spirits.

Really ANY kind of degreaser should dissolve the accumulated oils and snot!

Eric
Eric Edwards

Bonearzt

Post by Bonearzt »

Driswood wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:39 am
Bonearzt wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:24 am I HIGHLY advise against swabbing out your inner slide tubes!
Eric

I occasionally run a rod and cheesecloth through my inners, but only after removing my leadpipe. I don't make it tight, and don't force it. Last thing I want to do is dislodge the tube from the cork barrel!
Removing the lead pipe first is definitely a good idea, IF you can..
And a loose fit is good, remember to hold the tube you're swabbing by the cork barrel.
And IF you happen to dislodge the tube, you definitely have other issues to deal with!!!

Eric
Eric Edwards

JCBone

Post by JCBone »

I use toilet paper to clean the inners and a rod with a wipe to clean the outers and the pipe.
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

People who run a rod through the inners are probably more coordinated than me. I never risk it. Once in a great while a brush on a cable, and then only when inside the outers.

I've started leaving the outer slide upside down on the assembled horn on the stand to let it thoroughly dry. That's because I've been playing mostly pBone, which demands frequent wiping and swabbing or it gets wet and sticks, so I'm keeping it dry and I just naturally do the same for the brass tenor.

The rod I use on the pBone is 1/4 inch PEX, with a strip of muslin spiral wrapped. No slot is necessary and the end is covered. Not that you can damage a pBone, but just in case.

Return to “Maintenance”