WD40 as slide lube?

JCBone

WD40 as slide lube?

Post by JCBone »

I read somewhere that you can use wd40 as slide lube. Has anybody tried this?
ithinknot

Re: WD40 as slide lube?

Post by ithinknot »

Why bother, when you can inhale the fumes straight from the can?

Seriously, don't do this.

https://files.wd40.com/pdf/sds/mup/wd-4 ... us-ghs.pdf

(Is it a lubricant? Yes, of course.* Use it to help free stuck tuning slides.)

Clarification - insofar as all low-viscosity oils have lubricating properties to some extent. But it's primarily a penetrating oil/degreaser, it's not a general purpose lubricant, and it's definitely not suitable for this specific purpose :good: Just order some proper stuff online!
Last edited by ithinknot on Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bonearzt

Post by Bonearzt »

It is NOT a "lubricant"!!!!

And I sure as hell would not want to play next to someone using it and having to inhale that crap!!
Eric Edwards
Professional Instrument Repair

"If you must choose between two evils, choose the one you haven't tried yet."
"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles
JCBone

Post by JCBone »

I was skeptical about that. The person who reccomended this also said that it's made of fish oil. Anyways, say I'm out of lube and I can't go to the store because of lockdown, what is the best alternative?
sacfxdx

Post by sacfxdx »

Buy a tube of trombotine. You’ll never run out of slide lube.
Steve
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

JCBone wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:56 am I was skeptical about that. The person who reccomended this also said that it's made of fish oil. Anyways, say I'm out of lube and I can't go to the store because of lockdown, what is the best alternative?
Amazon
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

JCBone wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:56 am I was skeptical about that. The person who reccomended this also said that it's made of fish oil. Anyways, say I'm out of lube and I can't go to the store because of lockdown, what is the best alternative?
Do you have access to some Pond's cold cream? Even the new stuff works OK (but use less). If you are going from an oil or a silicone prep make sure to clean the inner and outer slides well or the result could be pretty gummy.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

and I quote:
Avoid breathing vapors or mist.
and futhermore:
User only outdoors or in a well-ventilated area.
finally:
IF INHALED: Remove person to fresh air and keep comfortable for breathing. Call a POISON CENTER or physician if you feel unwell.
JCBone

Post by JCBone »

Vegasbound wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:07 am
Amazon
I ordered monster oil but it won't arrive for several weeks
walldaja

Post by walldaja »

I'd rather go with shortening than going to monster oil. I prefer Slide-O-Mix.
Dave

2014 Shires Q30GR with 2CL
1982 King 607F with 13CL
Yamaha 421G Bass with Christian Lindberg 2CL / Bach 1 1/2G
Bach Soloist with 13CL
1967 Olds Ambassador with 10CL
1957 Besson 10-10
Jean Baptiste EUPCOMS with Stork 4
ArbanRubank

Post by ArbanRubank »

Lemon Pledge anyone?
Elow

Post by Elow »

Personally i prefer to use lanolin on my slides, makes them silky smooth
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

ArbanRubank wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:30 am Lemon Pledge anyone?
Only in the pump spray bottle.
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Elow wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:34 am Personally i prefer to use lanolin on my slides, makes them silky smooth
Hand slides? :eek: :eek:

I used lanolin on my tuning slides. Works OK when it's warm out, but here in the "frozen north" it can be a problem in winter.
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

JCBone wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:19 am
Vegasbound wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:07 am JCBone wrote: ↑
Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:56 am
I was skeptical about that. The person who reccomended this also said that it's made of fish oil. Anyways, say I'm out of lube and I can't go to the store because of lockdown, what is the best alternative?

Amazon
As you can see from the previously cited Material Data Safety Sheet, WD-40 contains ZERO "fish oil."

You need to learn to be more skeptical of what you hear from other uninformed persons – they may be propagating fake news! And, as pointed out, WD-40 is NOT a lubricant.

As Vegasbound noted, if you have a credit card, you can order the highest quality slide lubricant from Amazon and receive it within two days! For less than $10 shipped to your door! I have no idea why your Monster Oil lube is delayed for "several weeks." In any case, Monster Oil lube is really not the best available. It's O.K., but there are better products.

My suggestion:
• Order a small bottle of Yamaha Slide Lubricant or Slide-O-Mix Rapid Comfort.
• Completely clean your trombone slides, inside and out, to remove any moisture & traces of previous lubricant.
This means:
... (a) Wiping off the inner slide with a soft cloth. Use rubbing alcohol if there is gummy residue.
... (b) Carefully swabbing dry the inside of the outer slide with soft cloth or a Slide-O-Mix towel sheath on a cleaning rod. (I also very carefully swab the inside of my inner slides. Do not harm the leadpipe.)
• When you receive your authentic trombone lubricant:
... (a) apply just a little to your inner slide (a few drops to the stocking; several more drops - perhaps a line about 4 inches long - to the upper inner slide).
... (b) work the lubricant in by sliding up and down and and rotating the outer slide over the inner, one at a time.
... (c) Assemble the trombone.
... (d) Spray a mist of distilled water on the inner slide.
... (e) Enjoy playing your trombone.

Because you use it sparingly, your quality slide lubricant will last a surprisingly long time. Just ensure it does not sit in hot conditions (e.g., in your car in the summer) - if it gets too warm, it will lose its lubricity.
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

BGuttman wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:06 am
Elow wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:34 am Personally i prefer to use lanolin on my slides, makes them silky smooth

I used lanolin on my tuning slides. Works OK when it's warm out, but here in the "frozen north" it can be a problem in winter.
I've stopped paying attention to anything this kid has to say.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

WGWTR180 wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:58 am
BGuttman wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:06 am

I've stopped paying attention to anything this kid has to say.
True, but others haven't and I want to make sure that bad info doesn't get transmitted.
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
Elow

Post by Elow »

It was meant as a joke :/
CharlieB

Post by CharlieB »

When I was in a pinch for lube one day, my wife came up with some stuff that actually worked pretty well.
I offered to replace it with some of my WD40, but she declined. :)
Vegastokc

Post by Vegastokc »

You do not need any lube if you just play in vacuum. Then the coefficient of friction (u) will be 0. :clever:

Wait...was this supposed to be serious thread? :roll:

(PS: this post also doubles as a catfish for all the engineer types in our midst ;) )
Michael Saffier
I ate twice as much lasagna as I should have...
JCBone

Post by JCBone »

Posaunus wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:20 am
JCBone wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:19 am
As you can see from the previously cited Material Data Safety Sheet, WD-40 contains ZERO "fish oil."

You need to learn to be more skeptical of what you hear from other uninformed persons – they may be propagating fake news! And, as pointed out, WD-40 is NOT a lubricant.

As Vegasbound noted, if you have a credit card, you can order the highest quality slide lubricant from Amazon and receive it within two days! For less than $10 shipped to your door! I have no idea why your Monster Oil lube is delayed for "several weeks." In any case, Monster Oil lube is really not the best available. It's O.K., but there are better products.

My suggestion:
• Order a small bottle of Yamaha Slide Lubricant or Slide-O-Mix Rapid Comfort.
• Completely clean your trombone slides, inside and out, to remove any moisture & traces of previous lubricant.
This means:
... (a) Wiping off the inner slide with a soft cloth. Use rubbing alcohol if there is gummy residue.
... (b) Carefully swabbing dry the inside of the outer slide with soft cloth or a Slide-O-Mix towel sheath on a cleaning rod. (I also very carefully swab the inside of my inner slides. Do not harm the leadpipe.)
• When you receive your authentic trombone lubricant:
... (a) apply just a little to your inner slide (a few drops to the stocking; several more drops - perhaps a line about 4 inches long - to the upper inner slide).
... (b) work the lubricant in by sliding up and down and and rotating the outer slide over the inner, one at a time.
... (c) Assemble the trombone.
... (d) Spray a mist of distilled water on the inner slide.
... (e) Enjoy playing your trombone.

Because you use it sparingly, your quality slide lubricant will last a surprisingly long time. Just ensure it does not sit in hot conditions (e.g., in your car in the summer) - if it gets too warm, it will lose its lubricity.
Not everybody lives in the US. Unless I were to go to a store, which is not possible now, it would take several weeks for it to arrive. I am also aware of the proper procedures for slide lubrication. I was just wondering if there are any household alternatives that can be used in a pinch.
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

So where do you live? I bought yamasnot on eBay from a music store it arrived 2 days later by post

All music stores I know take phone orders and post stuff out
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

JCBone wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:44 pm Not everybody lives in the US. Unless I were to go to a store, which is not possible now, it would take several weeks for it to arrive. I am also aware of the proper procedures for slide lubrication. I was just wondering if there are any household alternatives that can be used in a pinch.
Ah - a different story. Not many household products are suitable for trombone slide lubrication.

Best is probably BGuttman's suggestion of cold cream (available at any drug store, used to remove makeup) The classic, used by us old-timers, was Pond's Cold Cream, but that formulation has been changed, so the new product will probably not work as well. [Rumor (perhaps apocryphal) has it that the original Conn Super Slick may have been repackaged Pond's.]

If you do manage to score some face cream, use it very sparingly, as you would Trombotine - or Monster Oil lubricant. Apply a thin layer on a clean inner slide, then wipe most of it off before you assemble the slide and mist it with distilled water spray. When you finally get your "real" trombone lubricant, thoroughly wipe off the cream and start over.
DougHulme

Post by DougHulme »

I'm sure thats true and all that has been said before but as an aside or maybe as an affirmitive for not putting it on your slide...

Some fishermen spray their bait with WD40 as an attractant. sea fisherman and freshwater carp fishers do it... it really does work. I'm sure there must be an analaoy between fish and that trombone player that recommended it (whoever he was) but it escapes me just now. :wink:

Doug
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

I believe the original "WD" meant "water dispersant". To the extent the Pond's works by beading up your spray into water beads that your slide "rolls" on, seems likely not to work too well. I may experiment though on an unimportant slide...
CharlieB

Post by CharlieB »

Assuming the OP's question was serious ?????
WD40 contains 25% oil and 75% petroleum distillates.
It is possible to use WD40 as a lube if you first allow all the distillates to evaporate, and if you can stand the residual smell in the remaining oil. Breathing the distillate fumes is a health hazard.
In a pinch, any hydrophobic (water repelling) product can work on a slide.
Mineral oil, cold cream, wax, fish oil, silicone, etc. Just apply thinly and spritz with water.
"Back in the days" when Holton Electric Oil was the only commercial slide lube choice, Pond's Cold Cream and water was a preferred lube.
JCBone

Post by JCBone »

What about, say a small amount of tuning slide grease? I'd asssume that a plant based oil would work but it would probably be a mess to clean up.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

JCBone wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:56 pm What about, say a small amount of tuning slide grease? I'd asssume that a plant based oil would work but it would probably be a mess to clean up.
Tuning slide grease? Why not molasses? You can't be serious. I give up trying to help you.
Elow

Post by Elow »

JCBone wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:56 pm What about, say a small amount of tuning slide grease? I'd asssume that a plant based oil would work but it would probably be a mess to clean up.
My response was meant as a joke, don’t use anything nearly that thick. How bad is your slide dry?
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

To put it bluntly... no. Just use purpose-made lubricants. They're not expensive, they won't get you sick, and they work really well. End of story.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

baileyman wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:07 pm I believe the original "WD" meant "water dispersant". To the extent the Pond's works by beading up your spray into water beads that your slide "rolls" on, seems likely not to work too well. I may experiment though on an unimportant slide...
According to Cheesebrough-Pond's, the formula for Pond's has not changed since 1849. However, there are some synthetic versions of the old components (like synthetic beeswax). Also, the method of blending has changed; probably a more significant effect than the synthetics. Still works great for makeup, but the better dispersion makes it less oleophilic. I've tried new Pond's and it works, though not as good as the old stuff did. I've also tried a passel of different formulas of cold cremes and none work as well as Pond's (even the new stuff).
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

I have a tub of Woolworth cold cream that works well. Looks like 1970s. I also have a tub of Burt Herrick creme that was supposedly Pond's that his wife got in giant tubs when she worked for the company that made Ponds. Also very old but works beautifully.
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

As for the original question...

My recommendation: Anyone who runs out of slide lube should immediately buy more.
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

greenbean wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:15 pm As for the original question...

My recommendation: Anyone who runs out of slide lube should immediately buy more.
In today's plague economy that isn't always possible. Los Angeles is in full lockdown and stores aren't open (as an example). If you are a kid, you may not have the credit cards needed to buy online. So the question may not be totally out of line.
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

BGuttman wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:19 pm
greenbean wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:15 pm As for the original question...

In today's plague economy that isn't always possible. Los Angeles is in full lockdown and stores aren't open (as an example). If you are a kid, you may not have the credit cards needed to buy online. So the question may not be totally out of line.
No excuses.

https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-Trombone- ... 238&sr=8-1
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Elow

Post by Elow »

He said he ordered some monster oil, so he has a way to buy things. Get a tube of trombotine, you will lose the tube before you run out. Either order online, or call up the closet music store thats open, im sure they will ship it
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

Several have asked and now so will I. Where do you live??
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

BGuttman wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:52 pm
baileyman wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:07 pm I believe the original "WD" meant "water dispersant". To the extent the Pond's works by beading up your spray into water beads that your slide "rolls" on, seems likely not to work too well. I may experiment though on an unimportant slide...
According to Cheesebrough-Pond's, the formula for Pond's has not changed since 1849. However, there are some synthetic versions of the old components (like synthetic beeswax). Also, the method of blending has changed; probably a more significant effect than the synthetics. Still works great for makeup, but the better dispersion makes it less oleophilic. I've tried new Pond's and it works, though not as good as the old stuff did. I've also tried a passel of different formulas of cold cremes and none work as well as Pond's (even the new stuff).
Somewhere in my stash I have a little tub of ancient cream. I could be persuaded to part with it--$$$. I'd even include a squirter used by Dick Nash. But I'm a yamasnotter now.

It could be an interesting covid project to analyze the old Ponds for the effective ingredient. Lanolin? Palm oil?
ArbanRubank

Post by ArbanRubank »

Feeling a bit congested? Maybe try a little Noxzema or Vicks Vaporub...
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

BGuttman wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:19 pmLos Angeles is in full lockdown and stores aren't open (as an example).
Los Angeles isn't exactly "locked down". The current order allows most stores to be open (at reduced capacity), though there is a "retail curfew":
Lower-Risk Retail Businesses, except for those defined as essential pursuant to Paragraph 18 of the
Reopening Safer at Work and in the Community for Control of COVID-19 Health Officer Order (Order),
must be closed for in person retail operations between the hours of 10:00 PM to 5:00 AM. The retail
business may remain open for delivery and curbside pick-up during the hours closed to in-person
operations
Specific to the trombone world, the hornguys.com website says:
The Horn Guys is open weekly for shipping and order pickup.
But, as pointed out, online shopping may not be an option for some people. Furthermore, there are places in the world that really are locked down.
Vegastokc

Post by Vegastokc »

Ok, so let's say not just the current situation, but that there is a full blown zombie apocalypse.
And the majestic sound and power of the trombone keeps the zombies at bay; maybe even explodes their skulls.
What could be a viable, non-toxic option after all the cosmetic items (cold cream, hand lotion, chap-sticks, etc) were used up? :???:
In all seriousness, I would think the pantry rather than tool shed.
Maybe a thin layer of vegetable oil, cooking spray or some shortening?
Better yet maybe coconut oil. Solid at room temp plus makes the horn smell like a pina colida. :idea:
I think I would avoid lard, tallow or butter though considering butter might be scarce in a z-pocalypse. :D
Michael Saffier
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Lard would have been a candidate in the Renaissance. Nobody sold SOM back then...

Little gummy, though.
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
ArbanRubank

Post by ArbanRubank »

Vegastokc wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:01 am Ok, so let's say not just the current situation, but that there is a full blown zombie apocalypse.
And the majestic sound and power of the trombone keeps the zombies at bay; maybe even explodes their skulls.
What could be a viable, non-toxic option after all the cosmetic items (cold cream, hand lotion, chap-sticks, etc) were used up? :???:
Better yet maybe coconut oil. Solid at room temp plus makes the horn smell like a pina colida. :idea:
I think I would avoid lard, tallow or butter though considering butter might be scarce in a z-pocalypse. :D
Apparently, you missed the post(s) about Lemon Pledge. It works very well, but is ill-advised to use in a close group for the obvious reason. Then again, I wouldn't put it past some fool to use Eucalyptus Oil as a slide lube in a close group.
Vegastokc

Post by Vegastokc »

ArbanRubank wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:13 am
Vegastokc wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:01 am Ok, so let's say not just the current situation, but that there is a full blown zombie apocalypse.
Apparently, you missed the post(s) about Lemon Pledge. It works very well, but is ill-advised to use in a close group for the obvious reason. Then again, I wouldn't put it past some fool to use Eucalyptus Oil as a slide lube in a close group.
I saw the lemon pledge. I think that is closer to the "toxic", non organic options.
Now eucalyptus oil actually might work - fast slide and open bronchioles = more dead zombies.
Michael Saffier
ArbanRubank

Post by ArbanRubank »

Vegastokc wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:18 am
ArbanRubank wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:13 am

I saw the lemon pledge. I think that is closer to the "toxic", non organic options.
Now eucalyptus oil actually might work - fast slide and open bronchioles = more dead zombies.
You're prob'ly right. As someone who suffered allergies, I'm against being offensive to someone else's sensitivities in public. I've known people who wore their "fragrances" by the bucket-load. I can smell (and I like it) the cold-cream-type odor of the Yamaha Slide Lube on my own slide, but I doubt anyone else could.
robcat2075

Post by robcat2075 »

On whether WD-40 is a "lubricant"... it is explicitly sold as that.

"Lubricant" and "lubricates" are used to describe it on their website. It is mineral oil, a classic lubricant.

https://www.wd40.com/products/

I have tried it on my slide and my valves. No, it's not as good a purpose-made lubricants.

I'd also note that if you are trying to free something up that is stuck, skip the WD-40 and go straight to PB-Blaster
Last edited by robcat2075 on Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
>>Robert Holmén<<

Hear me as I play my horn

See my Spacepod movie
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

A question to the OP:
Are you restricted to what you have on hand or can you at least get to a grocery store?
Elow

Post by Elow »

On his last account he said modiin israel

Dont use vegetable oil, please

Return to “Maintenance”