Hickey’s -Slide work?

pmeiden

Hickey’s -Slide work?

Post by pmeiden »

Hi all:

Over the years, I’ve shopped occasionally with Hickey’s with great results, including a well loved early version BAM Classic Bass Trombone case that fit my Edwards like they were made for each other!

My daughter is now a grad student in geophysics at Cornell, and I will be visiting her sometime this late winter. I am also taking the Edwards out of mothballs after my day job got in the way of playing for a few years, but I have recently retired from said day job.

My long winded point is that the slide (Edwards dual bore bass with nickel sleeves) could use a service and alignment, and that would couple nicely with a visit to Ithaca to see my daughter.

I have no experience with (or anecdote about) Hickey’s technicians. Anybody out there have any experience with them on slides? What do you think?

Thanks!!
hyperbolica

Re: Hickey’s -Slide work?

Post by hyperbolica »

The nearest good bone tech I know is Paul Abel. He went to Ithaca College, but works in Rochester now. Ithaca should have a good tech, but I don't know if Hickey's has one. I personally love Hickey's. As a former upstater, I've spent a lot of time in Ithaca.
dukesboneman

Post by dukesboneman »

I also 2nd the vote to take a side trip to Rochester (roughly 1 3/4 to 2 hours from Ithaca) to go see Paul Able.
(Able Brass Clinic) Paul is an amazing Repair tech especially for Trombones. He`s a Bass trombonist himself .
I`m from Rochester, (Now living in Florida) and went to Paul exclusively. Now I baby my horns until I can make the trip home and bring them with me.
MagnumH

Post by MagnumH »

I'm just outside Rochester myself, and I easily third the recommendation for Paul Abel and Abel Brass Clinic in Rochester. He's a great tech with excellent work and good turnaround times.

I love Hickey's too as a store, but I've no idea of their tech abilities. For a regular service I reckon they'd be fine - don't know how they are at alignment. There's always a mail-it-in option like the Slide Doctor or something like that too.
Matt Hawke
Trombonist/Arranger/Bandleader
White Hot Brass Band // The Sideways // The Brass Machine
Stable: BAC Paseo W6 w/ DE MTN102 B+3; King 3B/F w/ Bach 4C; King 2B w/ King 12C
pmeiden

Post by pmeiden »

Thanks guys!

Return to “Maintenance”