Axial lubrication

sacfxdx

Axial lubrication

Post by sacfxdx »

I've noticed that the Gb valve gets dry long before the F valve when left on the stand. Is that because of the orientation of the valve? It's the top valve when on the stand. The F valve never seem to get dry. I still oil them regularly anyway.

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this.
Steve
JCBone

Re: Axial lubrication

Post by JCBone »

Just a guess but maybe is the valve damaged?
sacfxdx

Post by sacfxdx »

it works OK if I keep it oiled but that could be the issue. I'll keep that in mind.
Steve
MTbassbone

Post by MTbassbone »

I would recommend disassembling the valve, cleaning it, and inspecting it for anything usual. Then reassemble the valves to see if there is any noticeable difference. Is it possible the valve cores were switched in error when it was last serviced? If that doesn't work then its time to talk to an experienced tech just to make sure there isn't anything wrong with the valve.
sacfxdx

Post by sacfxdx »

Thanks for the replies. I am hoping its not damaged. I won't rule that out. I did get it used so that's a possibility.

Anyone have a ballpark cost to replace an axial value if defective?
Steve
MTbassbone

Post by MTbassbone »

Steve, I wouldn't worry too much about that at this point. If there is truly a problem there is a good chance it can be fixed. In the event the valve is toast you could consider the Instrument Innovations Axial Flow Valve. Here is a link:

https://instrumentinnovations.com/instr ... low-valve/
sacfxdx

Post by sacfxdx »

Thanks for the link MTbassbone.
Steve
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

The difference is at the margins, but yes, my Gb valve also gets dry before my F valve. Both generally want a little bit of oil before quitting for the day as well as a couple of drops before starting up again. The difference to me seems to be that the oil will tend to collect at the bearing cone of the F valve or in the tubing hanging out below the valve on the F. It then either gurgles (and I drain it like a horn player) or goes back to the valve while playing. With the Gb, it seems to drain more into the F valve.

Axials like oil.

Cheers,
Andy

Return to “Maintenance”