Maintaining the S.E. Thayer valve

qweasdzxc701

Maintaining the S.E. Thayer valve

Post by qweasdzxc701 »

I have a quite low budget and wish to buy a one type of oil for my Thayer valve.
I already have Trombotine and use it to maintain my slide and tuning slide. I don't know, what to choose, but I've read a S.E. Shires Maintenance Guide, and there is written, that it's better to use Hetman Light Rotor Oil and Hetman Light Bearing and Linkage Oil.
Tell me, can I buy one of this oils and use it both for the Valve and Linkages? Because I want to save my budget, but if it will damage my instrument and my axial valve will have some troubles, I of course, buy both the oils.
And, maybe, there are some other variants of oil? Thanks :good:
ithinknot

Re: Maintaining the S.E. Thayer valve

Post by ithinknot »

qweasdzxc701 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:20 am
Tell me, can I buy one of this oils and use it both for the Valve and Linkages? Because I want to save my budget, but if it will damage my instrument and my axial valve will have some troubles, I of course, buy both the oils.
No, they are very different weights. (Bearing/linkage oil is much too heavy for the valve core and will make it very slow. Valve oil won't damage the linkages but it is too thin to be good at lubricating them properly.) And get some specific tuning slide grease - this is less important, but it will last longer and work better than Trombotine for that purpose.

Stick to the instructions. These products are expensive, but they last a long time, and maintaining your instrument properly is always much cheaper than repairing it :wink:
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

I use Ultra-Pure standard valve oil on the core-

https://www.ultrapureoils.com/product-p ... ml-2-fl-oz

light bearing oil (blue bottle) on the bearings-

https://www.ultrapureoils.com/product-p ... o-lbo-20ml

and the red bottle on linkages, ball bearings and such-

https://www.ultrapureoils.com/product-p ... o-llk-20ml

I used Hetman for a long time, but I was getting less performance for less time. Plus, you can buy Ultra-Pure straight from the maker, no middlemen.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

If availability is an issue, consider using Vaseline Petroleum Jelly or Anhydrous lanolin on the tuning slide. Caution: the Vaseline turns green indicating it is leaching out some copper from the brass but I used it for years without any apparent problems. Anhydrous lanolin is available in most drug stores often sold in tubes intended for lactating mothers.

As to spindle oil, you can substitute sewing machine oil or even household oil (3 in 1). Both are intended for spindles. Don't use it inside the core -- it will slow the valve WAY too much.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
qweasdzxc701

Post by qweasdzxc701 »

Thanks so much, you help me a lot

Return to “Maintenance”