Removing Second Valve on a Yamaha 622 Bass

NorthernEuph

Removing Second Valve on a Yamaha 622 Bass

Post by NorthernEuph »

I'm considering purchasing a used Yamaha 622 bass trombone. One of the features that makes this model attractive to me is the fact that I can remove the second valve and play it as a single if I wish. The horn is with me on loan now and I would like to try this. However, before I do something I might regret, is there anyone out there who can point me in the direction of instructions on how to do this? My own search of YouTube and the internet has been fruitless.

It looks like a pretty straightforward process, but I prefer to err on the side of caution.

Thank you in advance.
Peacemate

Re: Removing Second Valve on a Yamaha 622 Bass

Post by Peacemate »

Here are the instructions for the 882G, but I think they should be similar.
Student in Sweden, usually looking for more trombones
NorthernEuph

Post by NorthernEuph »

Thank you for such a quick response. The video did answer a couple of questions:

1) what is the reason for the little pin on bottom of the 2nd valve lever?
2) how does the 2nd valve lever disengage to remove the valve and slide
3) should there be an additional piece to reconnect the F slide once the valve is removed?

It appears that the additional slide is missing and that the 2nd lever spring has been cut such that it is impossible to connect to the pin prior to removal.

These are not necessarily deal breakers for this trombone, but would certainly have to be remedied before I purchase it.
ShermanKNTO

Post by ShermanKNTO »

1. The pin/protrusion is to hold the spring (3:37). Remove the screw and the arm will be free
2. Remove the set screw (4:15) and the valve section can slide off.
3. The additional short slide is the same as the water removal slide(0:54); you get an "extra" slide with the horn.
The 2nd lever spring is made to go on the protrusion; it doesn't come off. Very easy to remove. I haven't needed to remove the 2nd valve on my horn. After watching the video, I decided to purchase the horn, a very good decision!
NorthernEuph

Post by NorthernEuph »

I appreciate your taking the time to mention the exact times for certain points in the video. Perhaps I should have been more clear in an earlier post - the questions I had were prior to watching the video and were subsequently answered. Still, with this instrument a) someone has trimmed the 2nd valve spring to the point where there is no loop to attach to the pin b) the second valve does not engage fully and it seems like it might be because the valve lever is slightly bent. I have played it some more and I do like it, but it needs attention before I can give it a full workout and make an informed decision.
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

NorthernEuph wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:57 am I appreciate your taking the time to mention the exact times for certain points in the video. Perhaps I should have been more clear in an earlier post - the questions I had were prior to watching the video and were subsequently answered. Still, with this instrument a) someone has trimmed the 2nd valve spring to the point where there is no loop to attach to the pin b) the second valve does not engage fully and it seems like it might be because the valve lever is slightly bent. I have played it some more and I do like it, but it needs attention before I can give it a full workout and make an informed decision.
The spring may have just been replaced with a non-original one by a tech who didn't realize that the extension served a further purpose. You can probably get them direct from Yamaha.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone

Return to “Maintenance”