Yamahsnot smell and alternatives

MTbassbone

Yamahsnot smell and alternatives

Post by MTbassbone »

Anyone find the smell of Yamahsnot unpleasant? It works great, but smell is unpleasant. I felt the same way about Slide-o-mix products too. I looked a the MSDS to see if there were any clues, but I am not knowledgable enough about chemicals to understand the source of the smell. Here is a link:

https://usa.yamaha.com/files/YAC1021P_T ... dbb8eb.pdf

Anyone use the UltraPure slide lube? It says it is fragrance free. Is it truly fragrance free or is there some sort of smell? How well does it work?

I have traditionally used Trombotine, but wanted to try some other options. Yes, I know Trombotine has a smell, but it is more palatable to me than others. I would also be curious to look at the MSDS for Ultra Pure and Trombotine, but I was unable to locate it on the web.

P.S. Does anyone know of any negative health effects from the Slide Doctor polymer?
Last edited by MTbassbone on Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BGuttman

Re: Yamahsnot smell and alternatives

Post by BGuttman »

I suspect the anti-corrosion material may be what offends you. The other thing you can smell is ethylene glycol, which most people find sweetish. I'm not aware of silicone oils having a smell.

I don't find any odor from UltraPure oil, but maybe I'm not as sensitive as you are.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

MTbassbone wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:15 pm Anyone find the smell of Yamahsnot unpleasant?
It smells great to me.
P.S. Does anyone know of any negative health effects from the Slide Doctor polymer?
It's basically a car wax that can remove corroded metal out of your slide. There is no way it's not bad for you. Then again, that's probably only if you drink it or ingest the black gunk it takes out of your slide. After you scrub it out, rinse it, etc, it's probably about as dangerous as touching the hard coating on your car.
Johnstad

Post by Johnstad »

I use the Ultra Pure Alessi Formula. It works great. Switched from Yamaha.

Be sure to use cheesecloth to clean out the outer slides. That will help get the remaining residue.

I use it on two Shires Bass Slides, Bach 42 tenor slide, Bach 50 slide and Kanstul Contra slide.

I also switched to their light valve oil from Hetman.
MTbassbone

Post by MTbassbone »

Johnstad wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:16 pm I use the Ultra Pure Alessi Formula. It works great. Switched from Yamaha.

Be sure to use cheesecloth to clean out the outer slides. That will help get the remaining residue.

I use it on two Shires Bass Slides, Bach 42 tenor slide, Bach 50 slide and Kanstul Contra slide.

I also switched to their light valve oil from Hetman.
Will it mix with Hetman oils? I have plenty of Hetman oils left.
Johnstad

Post by Johnstad »

Yes, it will.

After I saw the difference with the oils, I gave the Hetman to friends.
lupusargentus

Post by lupusargentus »

I find the smell of yamsnot really objectionable as well. No problem with slideomix. The Hetman concentrate you mix in a water bottle and spray on is petty strong at first but smell dissipates quickly.
PhilTrombone

Post by PhilTrombone »

Plain old superslick has no odor that I can detect. Works fine for me

Return to “Maintenance”