Cleaning oil off of lacquered brass

MrDillon

Cleaning oil off of lacquered brass

Post by MrDillon »

Hey all,
I have a quick cosmetic maintenance question. Sometimes when my bass trombone (Bach 50A3) is in its case and moved oil will come out of various places and stick to the tubes around the valves. Even after wiping it away it still leaves an oily film on the lacquer. What could I do to remove this film of oil without damaging the finish of the instrument? Thanks!
-MrDillon
Burgerbob

Re: Cleaning oil off of lacquered brass

Post by Burgerbob »

I use a microfiber cloth, it picks most things up.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

You have to be careful. Many things that are good oil solvents will also dissolve some lacquers. If you had a Yamaha, Conn, or King you probably would have no problem since they use an epoxy lacquer. Bach uses a lacquer that dissolves in some solvents.

Generally an alcohol will dissolve oils and not attack the lacquer. You could use rubbing alcohol (especially the 70% variety, which is 30% water) with no ill effects. A mild detergent wash would probably also get the oil off. I wouldn't recommend denatured alcohol since the denaturing agent is usually a material that will affect the lacquer.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

BGuttman wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:12 am You have to be careful. Many things that are good oil solvents will also dissolve some lacquers. If you had a Yamaha, Conn, or King you probably would have no problem since they use an epoxy lacquer. Bach uses a lacquer that dissolves in some solvents.
Depends on when it was made. I think Bach finally went away from Cellulose lacquer, and may have moved to an acrylic type.

I could be wrong though.

Anyway, microfiber cloths are great at picking up oils.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
CharlieB

Post by CharlieB »

Grocery store. A new "Dawn" brand product called Powerwash.
Basically just Dawn detergent in a spray bottle.
Emulsifies the oil.
Kitchen sink. Spritz with the Powerwash. Warm rinse with the spray hose. Done.
Gets all the nooks and crannies that a rag can't reach
lupusargentus

Post by lupusargentus »

I'll second Dawn.
afugate

Post by afugate »

CharlieB wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:27 pm Grocery store. A new "Dawn" brand product called Powerwash.
Basically just Dawn detergent in a spray bottle.
Emulsifies the oil.
Kitchen sink. Spritz with the Powerwash. Warm rinse with the spray hose. Done.
Gets all the nooks and crannies that a rag can't reach
I believe it's diluted Dawn plus Isopropyl Alcohol (packaged in a convenient spray bottle)
--Andy in OKC
BarryDaniels

Post by BarryDaniels »

I know nothing about trombone finishes but I have been working with nitrocellulose lacquer for guitars for many decades. Hope the information transfers to trombone lacquer. To clean oil off of lacquer I use odorless mineral spirits. It will clean oils and waxes very well and will do no harm to the lacquer. However, dawn detergent is also effective , but it will leave some soap film unless you rinse it several times.

Return to “Maintenance”