Yamaha Slide Cream vs. Slide Oil

cigmar

Yamaha Slide Cream vs. Slide Oil

Post by cigmar »

Looking for those who've had experience with both the Yamaha Slide Cream and the Slide Oil. Which do you prefer and why?
norbie2018

Re: Yamaha Slide Cream vs. Slide Oil

Post by norbie2018 »

I found the cream to be like any other cream and worked better on some slides, worse on others. The oil was renamed slide lubricant as it is not an oil at all. It is a soap/silicone mixture much like Reka and others. They advertise that it won't chalk-up on the slide when it dries out (like slide-o-mix) and they are correct; any residue simply wipes off. The slide lubricant is awesome.
cigmar

Post by cigmar »

I too have been using the lubricant for some time with great success. Since my supply is now low, I was just wondering if I should try the cream instead.
norbie2018

Post by norbie2018 »

Why change if you've had good results? I think your success with slide lubricant is slide dependent, so why mess up a good thing?
marccromme

Post by marccromme »

Yamaha slide lubricant (aka Yammie snot) is the best on all of my slides. It easily cleans/washes off, is easy to apply, and needs only a drop of water if dried out. I even use it on my piston Eb tubas.
TromboneFox

Post by TromboneFox »

You can't beat the Yamaha stuff, but I find that a spray bottle of 2 parts olive oil and 1 part water works better than slide/valve oil.
"You play pretty good for not taking in any air"
"Wow, it almost sounds like you like that piece"
"There are two kinds of music, the flowy kind and the digging-in kind. You're much better at the digging-in kind."
norbie2018

Post by norbie2018 »

TromboneFox wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:39 am You can't beat the Yamaha stuff, but I find that a spray bottle of 2 parts olive oil and 1 part water works better than slide/valve oil.
Add a little vinegar and you could dress a salad.
cigmar

Post by cigmar »

norbie2018 wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:02 pm Why change if you've had good results? I think your success with slide lubricant is slide dependent, so why mess up a good thing?
I hear ya'. I've always been a proponent of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", but still always looking if there's something better out there.
sporto

Post by sporto »

another vote for the slide lubricant, even on old unplated inners
Cmillar

Post by Cmillar »

The Yamaha Slide lubricant (puple/white bottle) should go down as one of the greatest advances in trombone history!

For me, it's been a 'game-changer' as far as always knowing that I can have access to someting that JUST WORKS.
(...I've tried every other slide lube possible and then some!)

And now, even better, I'm using a tip someone else posted online here:

- a touch of Trombontine on both stockings (really clean the inner and outer slides first!)
- add a couple of drops of Yamaha on the slides (down low, up hight)

I literally don't have to touch my slide for days now....in the old days, I had to clean and re-apply Superslick (and everything else I ever tried) pretty much twice a day or more.

And this is on a '70's vintage Bach 16 brass slide. It's working great.
Cmillar

Post by Cmillar »

FYI....master brass repairman, Ron Partch in Toronto, has seen everything in his career.

He only recommends Yamaha Slide Lubricant to everyone he knows for the good of their horn (....according to science and what's good and bad for the life of your horn).

If you need a great 'slide-job', see Ron when in Toronto! A true master.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Yamasnot doesn't play nice with my Edwards slide ...

It is great on everything. But not that one slide. The only thing that seems to work is trombotine + a clear silicate
ParLawGod

Post by ParLawGod »

Love the Yamaha Slide Oil/Snot as well. Started using it around 2007 (had to get it shipped in from Canada)...I was pretty happy when they started selling it here in the U.S.

Return to “Maintenance”