Need slide receiver for Olds P24G

ansberry

Need slide receiver for Olds P24G

Post by ansberry »

My nephew is a band director in a rural high school. He and his wife have just had their first kid. He LOVES playing bass trombone, but will not be able to afford one for many years. I traded an instrument to a friend for several used instruments. One of them was an Olds Custom Crafted P24G. It is the reason I made the trade. I want to be able to give it to my nephew for Christmas but it is currently unplayable. It is missing the slide receiver part of the bell section. I have talked to all the local brass instrument repairmen and the only suggestion I got was check with BAC. They are an instrument company in Kansas City and have recently purchased all the Kansthul tooling and parts. I emailed them a month ago and have not heard from them yet. I imagine they are buried under a mountain from Kansthul.

If any of you have an idea as to where I can purchase this part I would greatly appreciate the help.

thanks
Mike Ansberry
Doug Elliott

Re: Need slide receiver for Olds P24G

Post by Doug Elliott »

I think it's the same receiver as a Bach, at least the same taper. Try your slide on a Bach bell to verify.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

Doug Elliott wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:00 pm I think it's the same receiver as a Bach, at least the same taper. Try your slide on a Bach bell to verify.
That rings a bell for me, too.

Did your tech check the Allied catalog? It’s sometimes surprising what the actually have. They were the ones who ended up with most of the Olds parts inventory.

If all else fails, you can always replace the other side of the tenon.
ansberry

Post by ansberry »

Thanks for the replies! I have used a friend's Bach 50 and it fit perfectly. I will have to do some mods to make the valve levers fit, but that is looking like my best option.

I used to be able to deal with Allied Supply, but I have not done much repair over the last decade and I don't do enough business to keep my access to their inventory. I will check with a friend who is a tech in Nashville and see if he can get me one from them. I am still holding out a little bit of hope that I will hear back from BAC.
LeoInFL

Post by LeoInFL »

Pardon me for resurrecting this thread, but I'm also missing the slide receiver on my P24G. Could a tech reading this please check if a nickel-plated Bach receiver is available from Allied? A nickel-plated Bach receiver (and associated lock nut) would match what originally came with the P24G.

Thanks in advance!
LeoInFL
Getzen 4047DS :
~Bousfield S
~Conn 5G | Edwards .525"
Olds P-24G : G&W Mark-1 | Wessex .555"
Melton 41 F Cimbasso : DE CB S118_L*_L16Am
Holton 77 Fr Horn : Laskey 825G

CFCA Symphony Orch
(2016-2023)
ansberry

Post by ansberry »

A friend of mine who is an active repair tech checked with Allied. They have the slide receiver for the 50. I know the 50B and 50A have the same bore size, but the 50A has Hagmann valves. That won't make any difference in the slide receiver, will it? Allied cost is $49.50 plus shipping.
ansberry

Post by ansberry »

Hopefully my friend will be ordering me the part next week. I'll let you know how it goes when it comes in. Thanks for the help and for tolerating a trumpet player on your site.
ansberry

Post by ansberry »

The Bach 50 did fit the Olds P24G, but it was too long. I had to figure out how much to cut and then drill it out a bit to fit the goose neck.
ansberry

Post by ansberry »

The Bach 50 did fit the Olds P24G, but it was too long. I had to figure out how much to cut and then drill it out a bit to fit the goose neck.

Return to “Modification & Repair”