Tennis Racquet Grip Tape

davetrombizzle

Tennis Racquet Grip Tape

Post by davetrombizzle »

Does anyone have any experience with using tennis racquet grip tape on their slides? Positives, negatives? I was thinking about using some on my bass slide to make it a bit chunkier and softer to hold onto. I've been given the go-ahead by my repair tech.

Thanks all.
David N. Vance, DMA
Kdanielsen

Re: Tennis Racquet Grip Tape

Post by Kdanielsen »

I use a bit right on the cork barrel. Doesnt seem to cause any problems. I think too much stuff on the cross braces changes the feel a bit, but I might be crazy.
Kris Danielsen D.M.A.

Westfield State University and Keene State College
Lecturer of Low Brass

Principal Trombone, New England Repertory Orchestra
2nd Trombone, Glens Falls Symphony
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

Bike handlebar tape?
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

I like cork bike bar tape. It has tapered width. I wrap the neckpipe and main brace.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mob ... koQAvD_BwE
SimmonsTrombone

Post by SimmonsTrombone »

I use the fairly new medical tape. It comes in black, among other colors, and has no adhesive. It sticks only to itself.
JLivi

Post by JLivi »

hyperbolica wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:09 pm I like cork bike bar tape. It has tapered width. I wrap the neckpipe and main brace.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mob ... koQAvD_BwE
And no issues rubbing off on the neck of a white collared shirt?
King 2b+
King 3b
King 3b(f)
Conn 79h
Kanstul 1585
Olds O-21 Marching Trombone (Flugabone)
SwissTbone

Post by SwissTbone »

SimmonsTrombone wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:01 am I use the fairly new medical tape. It comes in black, among other colors, and has no adhesive. It sticks only to itself.
Do you have a link to such a product? I am very interested. What brand do you buy?
ƒƒ---------------------------------------------------ƒƒ
Like trombones? Head over to https://swisstbone.com/ to see some great vintage and custom horns!
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

JLivi wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:23 am
And no issues rubbing off on the neck of a white collared shirt?
I get the natural stuff with no dye - tan. Never had a problem except on horns where I didn't use it.
SimmonsTrombone

Post by SimmonsTrombone »

cozzagiorgi wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:36 am
SimmonsTrombone wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:01 am I use the fairly new medical tape. It comes in black, among other colors, and has no adhesive. It sticks only to itself.
Do you have a link to such a product? I am very interested. What brand do you buy?
I buy it at my local pharmacy, but this looks like the same thing, though mine is black.

https://www.amazon.com/Athletic-Residue ... 192&sr=8-4
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

For some reason I no longer remember I put tennis racket tape on a golf club.

I haven't played in a decade or so but had to dig it out for a special event last month. Practicing with that taped golf club turned my hands black, even though the tape didn't look that bad.
JLivi

Post by JLivi »

I wanted to circle back on this, because I went to Dick's Sporting Goods and found the athletic wrap that sticks to itself. I believe it's called "Cohesive tape." It was only $5.99 and worked really well. It's only been on my horn for 3 days, but it's already way better than the various plastic tubes I've purchased from him depot.
King 2b+
King 3b
King 3b(f)
Conn 79h
Kanstul 1585
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

Auto parts stores sell a plastic wrap for wiring harnesses that stretches some and sticks to itself. It seems like a good idea - I bought some but haven't tried it yet.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Cmillar

Post by Cmillar »

I've used tennis grip tape for years. Just a little bit around the areas of the tubes where my fingers on my left hand hold the horn.

No problems, lasts a long time before having to re-wrap. I use a touch of Gorilla or Super glue under the tape (tape to tape) to hold the tape at the end of the scissor cut.
JLivi

Post by JLivi »

JLivi wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:21 pm I wanted to circle back on this, because I went to Dick's Sporting Goods and found the athletic wrap that sticks to itself. I believe it's called "Cohesive tape." It was only $5.99 and worked really well. It's only been on my horn for 3 days, but it's already way better than the various plastic tubes I've purchased from him depot.
Well, for some reason the cohesive tape I used on my 3b turns my white collared shirts black, but the same tape on my 3bf doesn't. I think it has something to do with the amount I sweat when I play my straight 3b, generally more moving and dancing around. I'm might have to try the white tape. I just don't want it to stand out too much. Beggars can't be choosers I guess

And for some annoying reason, I've never been able to get these stains out of my shirt. From the cohesive tape, leather wraps, or anything else I've tried. Very annoying!
King 2b+
King 3b
King 3b(f)
Conn 79h
Kanstul 1585
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

Think about a Yamaha or Clebsch-type strap.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Bach5G wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:38 pm Think about a Yamaha or Clebsch-type strap.
That's not going to help his shirt collars :idk:
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
brassmedic

Post by brassmedic »

This is your slide on tape.
20190918_141444.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brad Close Brass Instruments - brassmedic.com
Vegastokc

Post by Vegastokc »

JLivi wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:47 pm Well, for some reason the cohesive tape I used on my 3b turns my white collared shirts black, but the same tape on my 3bf doesn't. I think it has something to do with the amount I sweat when I play...
I've been using this cohesive tape for everything lately: on the trombones, on the grip of the Glock , hanging a ham for dry aging, etc.
I wrapped the cohesive tape with regular black athletic tape on the bell.
Maybe that would help the staining? Or it might just make it worse. :idk:
The other options are you could wear a black shirt or you could just stop sweating. :idea:
Michael Saffier
I ate twice as much lasagna as I should have...
JLivi

Post by JLivi »

Vegastokc wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:42 am The other options are you could wear a black shirt or you could just stop sweating. :idea:
Sadly, the dress is white shirt/black tie. I don't have a say. I wish it was "all black"
King 2b+
King 3b
King 3b(f)
Conn 79h
Kanstul 1585
FullPedalTrombonist

Post by FullPedalTrombonist »

White tape.

I use a leather earphone holder on a raw brass bass trombone neckpipe. I haven’t noticed any staining even though it’s vegetable tanned. A classic phone cord on another raw brass bass neckpipe. And a chrome tanned leather boot lace wrapped around a raw nickel neckpipe. No staining there either.

I don’t notice I swear through the shoulder of my shirts and I often wear a blazer for gigs
Vegastokc

Post by Vegastokc »

JLivi wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:53 am
Vegastokc wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:42 am The other options are you could wear a black shirt or you could just stop sweating. :idea:
Sadly, the dress is white shirt/black tie. I don't have a say. I wish it was "all black"
Yeah, I figured white shirt was standard. Guess you'll just have stop sweating. :P Talcum up! :)
Michael Saffier
I ate twice as much lasagna as I should have...
JLivi

Post by JLivi »

Any idea if I could spray lacquer the horn myself? There’s got to be a clear lacquer I can buy at Home Depot or something.

I suppose I can always just replace the neck pipe with a lacquered one. Or do those come unlacquered?
King 2b+
King 3b
King 3b(f)
Conn 79h
Kanstul 1585

Return to “Modification & Repair”