Converting a 6H slide to .508 bore and Nickel slide tubes

Thrawn22

Converting a 6H slide to .508 bore and Nickel slide tubes

Post by Thrawn22 »

Has anyone tried to convert a .500 6H slide to a .508 slide? I've been toying with the idea with a spare slide, but if it makes no difference to the sound or blow than it's obviously wasted effort.

The same with nickel outer slide tubes. I'm looking at this more for durability than sound, but if the sound is changed in a positive way than it's worth considering .

Thanks!
6H (K series)
6H (early 60s)
4H/5H custom bell
78H ('53)
78H (K series)
78H/36BG /2547 slide
8H
88HN
71H (dependant valves)
72H
35H alto (K series)
JLivi

Re: Converting a 6H slide to .508 bore and Nickel slide tubes

Post by JLivi »

It sounds like you're asking for a King 3b. Buying a straight 3b might be cheaper and less of a headache.
King 2b+
King 3b
King 3b(f)
Conn 79h
Kanstul 1585
Olds O-21 Marching Trombone (Flugabone)
griffinben

Post by griffinben »

Changing to nickel silver outer tubes will absolutely affect the sound. Brass is extremely durable, you should not be worried about it long term. The only reason to go through the expense would be to change the sound, which will be brighter.

Moving to a .508 slide will not only require all new tubes, slide crook and leadpipe, it will likely require new hardware at the top of the slide or machining the current hardware to accept the .508 inner tubes. In short, it will be a lot of work.

The Getzen 1050 Eterna does a pretty good job of approximately what a .508 6H would feel like.
Klimchak

Post by Klimchak »

The Getzen 1050 slide is also compatible with the Conn 6H/48H/10H and all the .485” variants, so you could use the Getzen slide on the Conn bell section. I was doing that for awhile. Edwards slides are also compatible with them. The lengths are a little different, but I was always able to make it work without having the tuning slides too far out.

If durability was a concern, get a .508” Butler Carbon fiber slide that will directly mate with the Conn bell section. No durability issues with that.
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

I was considering this same conversion a while ago. I went through a Yamaha 891, a Shires Michael Davis Plus and have lately settled on a 32h. Both the Yamaha and the Shires were fine horns, I just wanted something with more character.

I love my 79h, but every 78h I've played tends to get crass at high volume. The extra weight of the valve must tame it a little.

I've often thought a 48h bell with a wide glide 508 slide would be the perfect small instrument.

I've never considered the Getzen 1050. I'll need to look into that.
Thrawn22

Post by Thrawn22 »

JLivi wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:07 pm It sounds like you're asking for a King 3b. Buying a straight 3b might be cheaper and less of a headache.
I had a 3B. I didn't dig it.
griffinben wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:07 pm Changing to nickel silver outer tubes will absolutely affect the sound. Brass is extremely durable, you should not be worried about it long term. The only reason to go through the expense would be to change the sound, which will be brighter.

Moving to a .508 slide will not only require all new tubes, slide crook and leadpipe, it will likely require new hardware at the top of the slide or machining the current hardware to accept the .508 inner tubes. In short, it will be a lot of work.

The Getzen 1050 Eterna does a pretty good job of approximately what a .508 6H would feel like.

I know King hardware is practically tailored to the horn its designed for. My experience and having bounced ideas like this off of my tech (much to his chagrin) is most slide crooks tend to be a bit larger than the slide tubes. I had converted a 6H slide to 32H specs and the only thing that absolutely had to be changed was the slide receiver since the bell receiver was larger.

It's good to know the nickel may make the sound brighter.
Klimchak wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:37 pm The Getzen 1050 slide is also compatible with the Conn 6H/48H/10H and all the .485” variants, so you could use the Getzen slide on the Conn bell section. I was doing that for awhile. Edwards slides are also compatible with them. The lengths are a little different, but I was always able to make it work without having the tuning slides too far out.

If durability was a concern, get a .508” Butler Carbon fiber slide that will directly mate with the Conn bell section. No durability issues with that.

Good to know about the Getzen.

Maybe durability was a wrong word to use. While i appreciate the advancement in trombone materials i dont think i can ever use a carbon slide. But hey, don't knock it till you try it right?
6H (K series)
6H (early 60s)
4H/5H custom bell
78H ('53)
78H (K series)
78H/36BG /2547 slide
8H
88HN
71H (dependant valves)
72H
35H alto (K series)
JLivi

Post by JLivi »

Thrawn22 wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:35 pm It's good to know the nickel may make the sound brighter.
Brighter, and in my experience, it will respond a bit faster too.
King 2b+
King 3b
King 3b(f)
Conn 79h
Kanstul 1585
Olds O-21 Marching Trombone (Flugabone)
JebBishop

Post by JebBishop »

I'm interested in the Butler .508 slide with 6H bell idea, has anyone played that setup?
Klimchak

Post by Klimchak »

Yes. I loved it. I liked the slide better with my 6H bell than the Butler bell. It mated up well and took no time to get acclimated. I had gone to it from a 6H slide with Butler outer, so was already used to the slide. The carbon fiber slides certainly make whatever bell section respond faster. I foolishly sold it, but am getting a .500” horn in week or so. I will most likely use both my 6H bell and the carbon fiber bell.
JebBishop

Post by JebBishop »

Klimchak wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:05 pm Yes. I loved it. I liked the slide better with my 6H bell than the Butler bell. It mated up well and took no time to get acclimated. I had gone to it from a 6H slide with Butler outer, so was already used to the slide. The carbon fiber slides certainly make whatever bell section respond faster. I foolishly sold it, but am getting a .500” horn in week or so. I will most likely use both my 6H bell and the carbon fiber bell.
thanks for this info! -- did you find the .508 slide/6H bell blew 'bigger' etc. than the stock 6H? Did you try different leadpipes?
Klimchak

Post by Klimchak »

Yes, definitely played bigger. I primarily used the Leadpipe that was included, similar to a 3B supposedly. I tried a Kanstul H8, but preferred the original better with this combo. I think if I had played it a year earlier, I probably would have kept it, but I have been gradually moving a bit smaller and now feel more comfortable with .500” sized horns.

Return to “Modification & Repair”