Thayer cores compatibility

Rrova

Thayer cores compatibility

Post by Rrova »

So on my bass I have axials made by Ed and Barbara.
One of the cores need replacing. If I buy a core from Thayervalve.us will it fit properly? The cores I have look exactly like the ones shown on their website.

Thanks!!
brassmedic

Re: Thayer cores compatibility

Post by brassmedic »

You can't. OE Thayer is out of business. The person running the company passed away.
Brad Close Brass Instruments - brassmedic.com
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

Are there any companies still making the aluminum core thayer valves and kits, or are both Orla Ed Thayer and O.E. Thayer gone now?

Probably best to look into having the valve or both valves replaced with something else. Instrument Innovations makes some very nice Axial Flow valves from what I have heard. That's how I'll be going when my valve finally gets too corroded.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
Rrova

Post by Rrova »

Wow, I had no idea that they closed shop. Thanks for the info, Brad.

David, there is also a gentleman named Milashius in Minnesota who makes axials. From what I understand, he has all the old tooling from Barbara and Ed and worked with them in improving the valve. I believe it’s the same material. And yeah, the Olsens are fantastic people and make great products!
LarryPrestonRoberson

Post by LarryPrestonRoberson »

Rrova wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:43 am Wow, I had no idea that they closed shop. Thanks for the info, Brad.

David, there is also a gentleman named Milashius in Minnesota who makes axials. From what I understand, he has all the old tooling from Barbara and Ed and worked with them in improving the valve. I believe it’s the same material. And yeah, the Olsens are fantastic people and make great products!
Do you have contact information?
LarryPrestonRoberson

Are either Shires or Edwards/Getzen cores compatible?
dwn8ve

Post by dwn8ve »

LarryPrestonRoberson wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:51 am
Rrova wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:43 am Wow, I had no idea that they closed shop. Thanks for the info, Brad.

Do you have contact information?
I have been helping Bill Milashius with his mouthpieces and valves. You can reach out to us via [email protected] with any questions and we would be happy to assist you!
Chris Allen
Mankato Symphony
Milashius Musical Instruments

Rath R9
Shires Alessi
Lawler Model 1
Rath R11K
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

LarryPrestonRoberson wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:59 am Are either Shires or Edwards/Getzen cores compatible?
No.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
LarryPrestonRoberson

Burgerbob wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:19 pm
LarryPrestonRoberson wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:59 am Are either Shires or Edwards/Getzen cores compatible?
No.
Thanks for the information. Bummer, I have the option to acquire a Bach 50T3 that needs a new core for the F valve. Any recommendations for a replacement? I've contacted Milashius Musical Instruments. I'm waiting for a reply. I don't think this particular 50 is worth it for a retrofit with an Olsen, or other, axial.
Last edited by LarryPrestonRoberson on Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ZacharyThornton

Post by ZacharyThornton »

Big thing here: you can’t just drop any axial flow valve into a casing. Even from the same company. It needs to be honed and fit for that valve to that casing. You would need to send your horn to get the valve fitted. Or replace the whole valve section.
Rrova

Post by Rrova »

I have thayers made by Ed and Barbara’s company. I was having issues with one of my cores so I ordered a core from Milashius. It actually fits very nicely in the casing. The only problem was that the stem is a little smaller on my cores, so I couldn’t fit the stop arm onto the Milashius core.

So, while the core appears to fit properly into my casing, since I was not able to complete the install I cannot say whether it will work or not.

For the record, the Milashius company told me there’s a chance the core would work as a drop in, but that there was a very good chance I’d need to take it to a tech and do as Zach stated above.

Once I figure out how to post pics I’ll do so.

Really great people to work with!
dwn8ve

Post by dwn8ve »

Rrova wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:34 pm I have thayers made by Ed and Barbara’s company. I was having issues with one of my cores so I ordered a core from Milashius. It actually fits very nicely in the casing. The only problem was that the stem is a little smaller on my cores, so I couldn’t fit the stop arm onto the Milashius core.

So, while the core appears to fit properly into my casing, since I was not able to complete the install I cannot say whether it will work or not.

For the record, the Milashius company told me there’s a chance the core would work as a drop in, but that there was a very good chance I’d need to take it to a tech and do as Zach stated above.

Once I figure out how to post pics I’ll do so.

Really great people to work with!
Hi Ron,
Thank you for the words. I just sent you a follow up message on the stop arm. I would love to help sort that out for you.
Chris Allen
Mankato Symphony

Rath R9
Shires Alessi
Lawler Model 1
Rath R11K
dwn8ve

Post by dwn8ve »

ZacharyThornton wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:53 pm Big thing here: you can’t just drop any axial flow valve into a casing. Even from the same company. It needs to be honed and fit for that valve to that casing. You would need to send your horn to get the valve fitted. Or replace the whole valve section.
Thank you for the clarification Zach to make sure the proper information is in the thread! While I always clarify that in the emails out, it is great to have that included here.
Chris Allen
Mankato Symphony

Rath R9
Shires Alessi
Lawler Model 1
Rath R11K
hornbuilder

Post by hornbuilder »

Quick fix for a small spindle in a loose stop arm is to insert brass shim stock to take up the excess space.
Matthew Walker
Owner/Craftsman, M&W Custom Trombones, LLC, Jackson, Wisconsin.
Former Bass Trombonist, Opera Australia, 1991-2006

Return to “Modification & Repair”