Edwards Thayer vs. CR-E valves

bassboneman69

Edwards Thayer vs. CR-E valves

Post by bassboneman69 »

I have been playing on Thayers for nearly 20 years. I am contemplating getting a set of CR-E valves to replace my Thayers.
Before I needlessly waste $2400 I would like to inquire if others have had success or failure in a similar change.
Thanks for your help in my quest for information.
tbonesullivan

Re: Edwards Thayer vs. CR-E valves

Post by tbonesullivan »

I would definitely contact Edwards to see what people have been saying.

What particularly are you looking to change from the Thayers?
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
GBP

Post by GBP »

I have a CR-E inline bass. The horn plays very well. It does not sound/play like a horn with Thayer valves. If you like how you sound with Thayer valves, I wouldn’t buy the CR-E valves. I bought mine because my backup horn was a Getzen Custom while my main horn was a Greenhoe. Switching between the two wasn’t easy and I could never really achieve the sound on the Getzen that I was getting on the Greenhoe.
Ch0ward

Post by Ch0ward »

GBP wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:22 pm I have a CR-E inline bass. The horn plays very well. It does not sound/play like a horn with Thayer valves. If you like how you sound with Thayer valves, I wouldn’t buy the CR-E valves. I bought mine because my backup horn was a Getzen Custom while my main horn was a Greenhoe. Switching between the two wasn’t easy and I could never really achieve the sound on the Getzen that I was getting on the Greenhoe.
So do you have the CR-E valves on your getzen bell and slide? I was curious if the valves for getzen and edwards were interchangeable.
GBP

Post by GBP »

I have Edwards Bell and slide on the CR-E valves. When I played the Custom, I had a tech modify an Edwards bell to fit on the horn. Edwards and Getzen bells and slides need to be modified to work together. The modifications are pretty simple and inexpensive for a good tech.
GabrielRice

Post by GabrielRice »

It can be a difficult adjustment to go from Thayer valves - particularly after 20 years - to rotary valves.

I did it after about 12 or 13 years on Thayers, but I was very unsatisfied with certain aspects of the Thayers, specifically the response and lack of pitch center definition around C and B below middle C. The rotaries fixed that, but there was an uncomfortable period of time with the response below the staff. Eventually I moved on to Shires TruBores for my double valve instrument.
whitbey

Post by whitbey »

I have an 547 Edwards CR-E valve. I love it!
I had a Thayer valve long ago that I traded someone for the regular valve. My neck is big and there is so much mass to the valve I felt the response was slow.
I bought the CR-E valve about 7 years ago. It has been great for me. The horn is very responsive. It is not just the valve but the bracing that makes the valve section work. I use this valve with two different horns set ups. One is a brass bell and the other is sterling silver. The brass bell is normally without the valve.
The pillar is really helpful too.
For a 547 horn the CR-E is perfect. For a bass I am sure I would prefer it to the big valves. I can see a bass player used to the new equipment wanting the Thayers. I think I would use a duobore slide instead so that bell could light up better.
Edwards Sterling bell 525/547
Edwards brass bell 547/562
Edwards Jazz w/ Ab valve 500"/.508"
Markus Leuchter Alto Trombone
Bass Bach 50 Bb/F/C dependent.
Cerveny oval euphonium
Full list in profile
GBP

Post by GBP »

GabeLangfur wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:41 am It can be a difficult adjustment to go from Thayer valves - particularly after 20 years - to rotary valves.

I did it after about 12 or 13 years on Thayers, but I was very unsatisfied with certain aspects of the Thayers, specifically the response and lack of pitch center definition around C and B below middle C. The rotaries fixed that, but there was an uncomfortable period of time with the response below the staff. Eventually I moved on to Shires TruBores for my double valve instrument.
I didn’t spend as much time on thayers, 6 years, before switching back to rotors. I struggled with getting the kind of focus to the sound I wanted on the Getzen. I switched to Greenhoe valves for about 12 years and now I am on a 502. The CRE is what I use when I need a brighter sound.

Return to “Modification & Repair”