Schilke/Greenhoe and Shires modular compatibility

paulyg

Schilke/Greenhoe and Shires modular compatibility

Post by paulyg »

Hornguys says that a surplus Greenhoe bass bell will fit shires bass sections... is this true? Is it also true of the tenor bells?
Paul Gilles
Aerospace Engineer & Trombone Player
Neo Bri

Re: Schilke/Greenhoe and Shires modular compatibility

Post by Neo Bri »

I'd be really surprised and happy if that were true. It seems like makers usually try to keep that from happening as much as possible. Even the Getzen Custom isn't compatible with their own Edwards bells, even if they're the same.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Its probably a Greenhoe made to fit Shires parts. Even Greenhoe stuff wasn't always compatible with other Greenhoe stuff if they were of the Conn/Bach variety. When they did a conversion for an Edwards or Shires, or at least all of the conversions of those that I've seen which were admittedly not a tremendous amount in comparison to Bachs or Conns, they kept the fittings on the existing instrument.
paulyg

Post by paulyg »

The reason I ask is that the bell in question was billed as "also fitting Shires basses," not converted to Shires specs.

Anyone tried to swap parts?
Paul Gilles
Aerospace Engineer & Trombone Player
Walleye

Post by Walleye »

I would be surprised if the fittings lined up. As Matt said, Greenhoe's don't always line up on other Greenhoes. The bell mount threads on my Greenhoe were different than my Shires bell receivers as well so they wouldn't fully tighten...
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

As someone who has put stuff on consignment before and had similar descriptions made as a result of what I was attempting to say verbally, I bet the person entering it in just misunderstood what whoever dropped it off said. Could also mean that they have Shires mounting hardware included in the sale but something like that would have to be soldered. If you're interested, best to call/email over and ask for clarification in this case.
hornbuilder

Post by hornbuilder »

Shires uses 1/2-36 threads on their bell studs/nuts. Pretty much every other maker uses 1/2-32 threads. But that is just one feature. There is the length of the stud, the brace spacing to consider as well.
Matthew Walker
Owner/Craftsman, M&W Custom Trombones, LLC, Jackson, Wisconsin.
Former Bass Trombonist, Opera Australia, 1991-2006

Return to “Modification & Repair”