trigger spring snapped

8parktoollover

trigger spring snapped

Post by 8parktoollover »

I was practicing today when I heard a snap and saw that the spring for my trigger came off. I tried to keep practicing without the trigger but since there was nothing to keep it in place it kept moving. Is there any diy fix I can do or should I see if repair shop is still operating.
BGuttman

Re: trigger spring snapped

Post by BGuttman »

I managed to make a temporary repair using a "scrunchy" (an elastic band used to tie ponytails). I use one that has stretched out a bit and it fits the Gb trigger on my King 7B when anchored to some attachment tubing. You may have to figure out where to tie the elastic for your application.

Obviously a proper repair is preferable.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
8parktoollover

Post by 8parktoollover »

I'm not sure if such a repair is possible on my 42b. Of course it is the worst time for something like this to happen since all the shops are closed. I guess I'm stuck playing my king 606 until the lockdown is over.
DougHulme

Post by DougHulme »

Years ago when the only horn I had was the Yamaha YBL321 (I still have it and a reasonable horn it still is 40 years later, I should use it more often) In the early days I found that the trigger spring would break every couple of years (did I find a chink in the legendry Yamaha quality for once?) I made the first repair (mid performance) using a long elastic band but thereafter I kept a slither of a car inner tube in the instrument case and it always worked a treat - in much the same manner as Bruce just described. I'm sure you can make the principal work on your 42 even if it means attaching the elastic to the top of the paddle and squeezing your thumb underneath. Incidentally Yamaha improved the quality of their springs... hasnt happened again in 30 years - though I dont use the horn that much now... Doug
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

There's probably at least one place you can put a rubber band to spring it.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

Even if you can't figure a way to improvise something to take the place of your spring, you should at least be able to secure the linkage in such a way that you can play it as a straight horn.
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

JohnL wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:38 pm Even if you can't figure a way to improvise something to take the place of your spring, you should at least be able to secure the linkage in such a way that you can play it as a straight horn.
If you really want to give your mind a workout (and learn the F side of the horn) secure the linkage with the F attachment active.
afugate

Post by afugate »

Dennis wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:21 pm If you really want to give your mind a workout (and learn the F side of the horn) secure the linkage with the F attachment active.
I like this idea. Think I will try it with both triggers engaged on my Duo Gravis... :idea:

-Andy in OKC
Bonearzt

Post by Bonearzt »

A possible quick fix, but not guaranteed.

IF there is a little bit of leg left, you can grab it with needle-nose pliers and pull until you have enough to stretch over the bridge. This also can work if your spring needs more tension.
But usually, springs snap right at where the coiling begins and there's nothing to grab easily.
If you were to obtain a new spring, they can be a real bitch to install.

What flavor horn do you have?

Eric
Eric Edwards
Professional Instrument Repair

"If you must choose between two evils, choose the one you haven't tried yet."
"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles

Return to “Modification & Repair”