6b modifications

Adampreav

6b modifications

Post by Adampreav »

I bought a king 6P that was being sold for $600 on eBay.
It was listed as parts, I scooped it up not knowing anything about the duo gravis or dependent valves.
It will need a good amount of repairs. I’m interested in replacing the slide with a butler slide and putting cl/Hagmann valves and making it independent , but don’t know if I should, I’ll have at least 3k or more in the in the horn were I could spend 1500 it get it in good shape. I need some advice for what I should do to this horn.
And who I should send it to

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Adampreav

Re: 6b modifications

Post by Adampreav »

Could put but 3 images in my first message
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

I have a 6B "Duo Gravis". I bought it in good working order for about $900 unmodified. The original trigger system is not to bad. Both triggers are maneuvered by the thumb. The first by the first bone of the thumb and the second by the tip of thumb so you have to do a forward twist of the corpus go use both. It seams the triggers are damaged on this horn. If it was mine I would keep the dependant setup but change to split triggers, and naturally I would have someone look at that slide.

After that mod I think you could get at least $1500 if it was sold in a shop over here.

/Tom
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

You got a bunch of good suggestions on your other post in Instruments. I doubt you will get much else here. Obviously you need the slide serviced (or replaced -- the slide from a 7B or 8B will work too). After that, get the triggers fixed. Next, a D slide for the dependent section. Now if you really want it, do the split trigger. After that I wouldn't change anything else. You'll do better to just sell it and buy something more to your liking if you still don't like it.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

Yes, Bruce is right the D-slide is almost a nessecary modification to make it more valuable. More important than split triggers, I didn't think of that. My horn has the D-slid, I guess it was an option back when it was made.

/Tom
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

Here's what I said in your almost duplicate post:

So you bought this horn and don't have a clue how it plays. Fine-I wouldn't either. So I'd do this in stages. 1. Fix the slide and have any dents in the bell section taken out. If you then say "hey I kinda dig this horn but the linkages suck" then 2. get those done. If you say "man this horn sucks" then I'd sell it without getting the linkages done. King valves were generally good open valves. I played a DG for several years and had zero issues with the valves. At this point adding fancy valves or a carbon fibre slide is, like John Swallow said several times, "polishing a turd."
FullPedalTrombonist

Post by FullPedalTrombonist »

The 6B is a tool that a lot of players could find use for and I bet there are plenty that are looking for one as a second horn. Get it in working order as best as it can be. Replace parts that need it with whatever fits and serves the horn appropriately. Then just play it and find out if you like it. List it if your opinion and someone will buy it.

If it needs new valves go for the most affordable and appropriate option. If the slide needs new tubes have a tech order whatever from Allied.
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

BGuttman wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:57 am You got a bunch of good suggestions on your other post in Instruments. I doubt you will get much else here. Obviously you need the slide serviced (or replaced -- the slide from a 7B or 8B will work too).
I have an 80s 7B with what looks like to be a Duo Gravis slide. The tenon is larger so it doesn't seat in the receiver all the way. If you look for a new slide, make sure to get one that fits. I am on the lookout for a 7B slide that matches my horn, or just the tenon.
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King

Return to “Modification & Repair”