Trouble holding Rath small bore

mrdeacon

Trouble holding Rath small bore

Post by mrdeacon »

Hi everyone!

So I've got kind of an odd question. Just due to my hand size and for other physical reasons holding straight tenors has always been a little troublesome for me. Honestly I've been playing my large tenors and basses more because they are easier to hold with all their ergonomic gizmos and doodads.

The only thing I've tried so far was purchasing a Leather Specialties small tenor hand strap which I wasn't happy with as a solution. The strap didn't fit the horn or my hand. The problem with the straps on Raths is there really isn't any upper cork barrel for the strap to loop onto like on a Bach or Conn.

On my straight Bach 42 a Leather Specialities strap works perfectly and gives me the support I need to hold that horn for long periods of time. I'm sad it doesn't work the same way for my R1!

I've never been a big fan of the Neotech braces... but I've been thinking about it for this horn. I've also thought about contacting someone on Etsy or something like that and having a custom strap whipped up and maybe it'll fit better...

Welcome to any suggestions! I'd love to have an excuse to play my R1 more.
Rath R1 2000s, Elliott XT
Bach 42 1974, Elliott XT
Holton 169 1965, Elliott LB
Minick Bass Trombone 1980s, Elliott LB
Fidbone

Re: Trouble holding Rath small bore

Post by Fidbone »

Here's a pic of my customised R1 handgrip :biggrin:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mrdeacon

Post by mrdeacon »

Nice! Glad I'm not the only one with ergo issues. I didn't even think of doing something like that... My tech could whip something up fairly easily enough.

Though... I think I would still prefer to have some sort of exterior (if that makes any sense) brace to help with ergos.

That work is clean on your horn! Was the work done at the factory?
Rath R1 2000s, Elliott XT
Bach 42 1974, Elliott XT
Holton 169 1965, Elliott LB
Minick Bass Trombone 1980s, Elliott LB
Fidbone

Post by Fidbone »

Yes it was. I also have it on my R4/F :-)
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

I use the Neotech on my 3B. I wouldn't have nearly as much fun playing it without.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Somebody made some kind of device that clips to the fixed slide brace that does something like Fidbone's modification. I wish I could remember who it was.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

BGuttman wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:53 pm Somebody made some kind of device that clips to the fixed slide brace that does something like Fidbone's modification. I wish I could remember who it was.
Oh yeah, the Wise Grip:

https://www.hickeys.com/search/products/sku128045.php

I think I have one but it only fit small bore horns and I wasn't playing a small bore when it came out very much. I should dig that out and see if its useful.
whitbey

Post by whitbey »

I have had a curved brace on my horns for years. Works great. Similar to the straight bar on the Rath above, mine is curved. I also put wire loom harness covers on the tube. Cushy and comfy.

You can see two horns in the pic below. The bass does not have the cover.

Pick of my horns.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1izx3 ... RWNm8/view
Edwards Sterling bell 525/547
Edwards brass bell 547/562
Edwards Jazz w/ Ab valve 500"/.508"
Markus Leuchter Alto Trombone
Bass Bach 50 Bb/F/C dependent.
Cerveny oval euphonium
Full list in profile
bbocaner

Post by bbocaner »

I find curved slide braces to be a huge problem for me. It's *too* comfy, it makes it impossible to get enough leverage on the slide to hold the instrument up straight. The instrument starts to take a nosedive and I end up needing more hand strength and a tighter grip to keep holding it firmly. I'm not certain if the angled brace that chris has would be better or not. I got Rath to make me custom rest bars kind of like the Shires rest bar, based on the ones they include with their -00 series instruments, for my R3F, R4F, and R9, but the way they made them won't fit my R4 and R10 which is probably fine because the instruments without valves are light enough and get used seldom enough that I don't have a huge issue with them.
diminishedSeventh

Post by diminishedSeventh »

Fidbone wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:48 am Here's a pic of my customised R1 handgrip :biggrin:
My god that is a beautiful horn... what's that mouthpiece by the way?? :shock: :shock:
Fidbone

Post by Fidbone »

diminishedSeventh wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 1:28 pm
Fidbone wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:48 am Here's a pic of my customised R1 handgrip :biggrin:
My god that is a beautiful horn... what's that mouthpiece by the way?? :shock: :shock:
It's a Monette TS6 Resonance. I tend to flit between that and a DE MT100/C/C2 depending on what the gig is......... Or should I say what the gigs were :eek: :idk:
Mv2541

Post by Mv2541 »

Fidbone wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 1:40 pm
diminishedSeventh wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 1:28 pm

It's a Monette TS6 Resonance. I tend to flit between that and a DE MT100/C/C2 depending on what the gig is......... Or should I say what the gigs were :eek: :idk:
If you don't mind would you offer your opinion on the Resonance vs the prana slap?
Software Developer/Educator
JP Rath 236 - XT L101 C+/AS
Bach LT16M - XT L101 C+/D3
Bach 36BO - XT L101 E/E4
Edwards T396 - XT L101 F+/G8
Courtois 502 - LB L114 L/L8
Fidbone

Post by Fidbone »

Mv2541 wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 2:57 pm
Fidbone wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 1:40 pm

If you don't mind would you offer your opinion on the Resonance vs the prana slap?
Hey, no sorry I haven't played a Prana Slap against it to compare!!!
Mv2541

Post by Mv2541 »

Fidbone wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 2:40 am
Mv2541 wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 2:57 pm

Hey, no sorry I haven't played a Prana Slap against it to compare!!!
I guess I'll have to try and find a Resonance somewhere then!
Software Developer/Educator
JP Rath 236 - XT L101 C+/AS
Bach LT16M - XT L101 C+/D3
Bach 36BO - XT L101 E/E4
Edwards T396 - XT L101 F+/G8
Courtois 502 - LB L114 L/L8

Return to “Modification & Repair”