Added Treads to a Slide

shinythings7

Added Treads to a Slide

Post by shinythings7 »

Hello all,

There have been a few posts recently in this sub-forum about removable leadpipes, but a question that I have not been able to find an answer to:

What would the estimated costs of added threads to a slide after a leadpipe is removed?

I'd appreciate any insight from people that have had the work done or from techs that have done this type of work to add Shires, Edwards, Conn, Rath, etc. threads to a slide that is not of that brand. I'm hoping to hear about the cost for parts, cost for labor, the wait time it might take (on average), and anything else that might help someone to make an informed decision.

As to why I ask, I have a 1968 Elkhart 88H that has it's original slide and I know the Remington leadpipe has been mashed to accept a Morse taper mouthpiece. I'd like to have the leadpipe removed and have access to options. And for everyone that asks why I don't just get a Gen II slide, I like the slide I have and see no reason replace it outright. I wouldn't mind getting a .525/.547 slide to have some fun with, but that would be a different animal all together.

Thanks in advance for your comments and insight!
hyperbolica

Re: Added Treads to a Slide

Post by hyperbolica »

When I did something similar to my 88h, I just replaced the entire handgrip assembly. This was in part because the original parts were very pitted/corroded. So I just got a new assembly that already had threads on it. You might be able to get just the top cork barrel. It may be possible to get just the female threaded part and solder it on, not sure about that.
modelerdc

Post by modelerdc »

Instrument innovations makes adapters to for a slide to take threaded lead pipes, only about 20 dollars and the perfect time to have one installed is when your tech pulls the old leadpipe. They make ones that take either Shires or Edwards threads, as well as a bi-thread one that takes both shires and edwards threads!
shinythings7

Post by shinythings7 »

modelerdc wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 1:54 pm Instrument innovations makes adapters to for a slide to take threaded lead pipes, only about 20 dollars and the perfect time to have one installed is when your tech pulls the old leadpipe. They make ones that take either Shires or Edwards threads, as well as a bi-thread one that takes both shires and edwards threads!
I guess the dumb question I have is do the adapters that are soldered on add the 1/4" that the screw in adapters add? Maybe a question to ask them directly. Anyone have any experience with these? Would love to hear about them as well.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

shinythings7 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 2:06 pm
modelerdc wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 1:54 pm Instrument innovations makes adapters to for a slide to take threaded lead pipes, only about 20 dollars and the perfect time to have one installed is when your tech pulls the old leadpipe. They make ones that take either Shires or Edwards threads, as well as a bi-thread one that takes both shires and edwards threads!
I guess the dumb question I have is do the adapters that are soldered on add the 1/4" that the screw in adapters add? Maybe a question to ask them directly. Anyone have any experience with these? Would love to hear about them as well.
On the 88H, maybe not. That receiver is pretty far out compared to Bachs. On a 50 slide I had an adapter mounted to, it did add significant length.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
modelerdc

Post by modelerdc »

A well done installation adds about the same amount of length as you find on a typical Edwards or shires slide. Also the mouthpiece fits further into most of the factory shires and Edwards pipes so this helps a little. In any event check with your tech, hopefully you have one that's done this type of thing before so he can answer your questions.
Slidemo

Post by Slidemo »

Instrument innovations (as mentioned above) can also make you a larger piece that replaces the mouthpiece receiver. (Hope I have the right terminology here) You need to send them them a few measurements so they make you the right size.

Here is one of the Bi-thread receivers installed on a Bach 50. One with the leadpipe in and one without so you get an idea of scale. There is no extra length added to the horn like the soldered on adapter they do.

This is a super bit of kit and highly reccomended! All Edwards, Shires and Kanstul pipes screw in just fine.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Amconk

Post by Amconk »

Anyone have a link to these parts? I can’t find them on their site.
Michael Conkey
Southern Oregon Trombonist

-Besson Be944 Sovereign with Hagmann
-Holton TR-140 “monster” valve
-Modified Schiller 7B clone
-King 4B with custom bell
-Jin Bao Alto
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

In the Tech Corner.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher