Oberloh Woodwind and Brass Repiar

CharlieB

Oberloh Woodwind and Brass Repiar

Post by CharlieB »

Kudos here to Dan'l Oberloh at Oberloh Woodwind and Brass.
He has just finished reworking a Shires slide for me. Due to several birth defects, it required serious work; a complete disassembly and rebuild. I am happy to report that the slide is now way better than when it was factory-new. A precision job, done with excellent workmanship. He can't be rushed because he is a perfectionist, and he is not cheap, but the results are well worth the time and money. Here's a video of how he makes a slide right.

http://www.oberloh.com/SPL/spl1.htm
paulyg

Re: Oberloh Woodwind and Brass Repiar

Post by paulyg »

That's awesome!

That being said, really? A slide that bad from the Shires factory? Did they cover the re-work under warranty?
Paul Gilles
Aerospace Engineer & Trombone Player
GBP

Post by GBP »

That’s my friend Dan. He has been working on these tuba valves that the job was so daunting, the manufacturer past on it. He really enjoys a challenge.
CharlieB

Post by CharlieB »

paulyg wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 9:49 pm That's awesome!

That being said, really? A slide that bad from the Shires factory? Did they cover the re-work under warranty?
I chose not to fight that battle with Shires.
Instead, I paid the bucks for confidence that the work would be done right, and with no hassle.
Bonearzt

Post by Bonearzt »

paulyg wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 9:49 pm That's awesome!

It happens from EVERYONE!!! Might not have left the factory in less than playable shape, but no telling what transpired from the moment it was packaged to the moment it was unpacked.

Eric
Eric Edwards
Professional Instrument Repair

"If you must choose between two evils, choose the one you haven't tried yet."
"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

I once got an email from from SES telling me they’d had a problem making slides for a period and inviting me to return my slide for inspection and, if necessary, repair. It came back better but it’s still not quite as good as a used Shires slide I bought off a seller on this forum.
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

I had a slide from Bach with a factory warp. Freddie at Dillon Music fixed it for me. It is now the best slide I have ever played on. The only one close is the slide on a pro-owned Yamaha YBL-613G I tried out.

Some people just have "the touch". Dan Oberloh is one of the best brass repair people in the world. There isn't much they can't fix at his shop.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
bigbandbone

Post by bigbandbone »

I just completely rebuilt an almost new, but 2end owner, Bach 42 slide. It dragged in first and second positions. The outer slides were not parallel and were twisted. The inner tubes were also not parallel.
I found the cause was that the cross brace sockets were not mounted 90* to the center axis of the tubes making it impossible to build the slide assemblies parallel and flat! Crazy!!!
No pride in workmanship or product quality.

Return to “Modification & Repair”