Edwards T-396 slide leapipe pull

LarryPrestonRoberson

Edwards T-396 slide leapipe pull

Post by LarryPrestonRoberson »

Has anyone had firsthand experience pulling the leadpipe of an Edwards T-396 handslide? Is it possible to have one of the Getzen/Edwards threaded receivers installed in place of the stock one. Or, would one have to install a whole new cork barrel? For what it is worth, the particular slide in question is from the "Alessi" period—approximately 3–4 years old. Please see attached pictures of the handgrip/cork barrel. I would appreciate any information.
IMG_0510.JPG
IMG_0509.JPG
IMG_0508.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LarryPrestonRoberson

Re: Edwards T-396 slide leapipe pull

Post by LarryPrestonRoberson »

Update: I received a reply from a reliable source:
"You can heat that up and free it up. It is just screwed on and soldered down."
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

It’s not just that simple. Edwards/Getzen has soldered and screwed in some of their leadpipes on particular models because they don’t want you to pull them out. It’s their way to make it very difficult to pull them out. Is it possible? Yes. Could you ruin a portion of your inner slide in the process. Yes.

If you want a removable leadpipe system for that horn, my recommendation would be to buy or trade for another Edwards slide.
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
ChadA

Post by ChadA »

I had a Getzen 4147IB (yes, a different model, but by the same designer) with a fixed leadpipe; I had the pipe pulled. It was screwed in, then soldered. It just needed to be heated and unscrewed and then the threads cleaned up. According to my tech, most of the work was cleaning solder off the threads afterward. My assumption is that the T396 works the same way, but your mileage may vary....
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

Glad to hear that ChadA had success with that leadpipe removal. I have removed two “screwed and soldered” leadpipes in my shop. One of them went very well. The other one (a Getzen slide) got about half way out and wouldn’t move. My theory is that the threading had a burr in it and once it got caught, the solder just added to the problem. That particular horn project needed some new parts to be completed.

I have heard from other techs that the “screwed and soldered” leadpipes are hit or miss as well. Christian Griego has stated that he screws and solders those leadpipes in because he believes they are the best match for that horn. He intentionally made them difficult to remove. I’m not saying you cannot remove them. I’m just saying.....proceed with caution.

The particular models I have seen this on are: Edwards T-396, Getzen 4047DS and Getzen 4146IB. I’m sure there must be European and Asian models that use the same construction.
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
ericcheng2005

Post by ericcheng2005 »

Christan has gone to great lengths to make the leadpipe nonremovable, but it is just a normal leadpipe that is soldered in. Your mileage may vary :)
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

I think the point of making that soldering that leadpipe into place had to do with the more "solid feel" of a non-modular instrument. The easiest thing would be to use a different edwards slide that has removable pipes, but of course, they don't offer anything with the same specs (gold brass/yellow brass combo).

Jim Scott
ericcheng2005

Post by ericcheng2005 »

CalgaryTbone wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 9:33 pm I think the point of making that soldering that leadpipe into place had to do with the more "solid feel" of a non-modular instrument. The easiest thing would be to use a different edwards slide that has removable pipes, but of course, they don't offer anything with the same specs (gold brass/yellow brass combo).

Jim Scott
Don’t soldered-in leadpipes transport energy much more efficiently than removable leadpipes?
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

ericcheng2005 wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 10:14 pm
Don’t soldered-in leadpipes transport energy much more efficiently than removable leadpipes?
You would be hard pressed to tell the difference.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

CalgaryTbone wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 9:33 pm I think the point of making that soldering that leadpipe into place had to do with the more "solid feel" of a non-modular instrument. The easiest thing would be to use a different edwards slide that has removable pipes, but of course, they don't offer anything with the same specs (gold brass/yellow brass combo).

Jim Scott
That's the theory that was behind the design, but it's hard to prove since there's no way to do an A/B comparison with the exact same leadpipe/slide. Even if a tech let you play it before soldering, it wouldn't be a side by side comparison.
ericcheng2005

Post by ericcheng2005 »

CalgaryTbone wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 11:25 pm

That's the theory that was behind the design, but it's hard to prove since there's no way to do an A/B comparison with the exact same leadpipe/slide. Even if a tech let you play it before soldering, it wouldn't be a side by side comparison.
Good point!

Return to “Modification & Repair”