Low e pull lever?

Elow

Low e pull lever?

Post by Elow »

Has anyone tried to add a second trigger that pulls your f tuning slide to e? I have a 71H that i love but my director also loves john mackey and there is frequent low b’s. So i was wondering how hard it would be to add a mechanism that acts like a Gb trigger but just extends the tuning slide. I was looking into a 73h valve section too, but that doesn’t seem like it’s going to happen so this would be my next option.
shider

Re: Low e pull lever?

Post by shider »

There is a Video on YouTube which shows something like that:
Basbasun

Post by Basbasun »

shider wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:57 am There is a Video on YouTube which shows something like that:
Wow! He is a good player. But is the low B in tune?
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

That's a long pull to manage with a thumb lever. You'd have to sacrifice leverage to get enough travel, which means the slide would have to move with very little resistance.

AFAIK, Thein is the only company that makes something along those lines:
https://thein-blechblasinstrumente.de/0 ... rtok-v.php
bigbandbone

Post by bigbandbone »

Elow wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:21 am Has anyone tried to add a second trigger that pulls your f tuning slide to e? I have a 71H that i love but my director also loves john mackey and there is frequent low b’s. So i was wondering how hard it would be to add a mechanism that acts like a Gb trigger but just extends the tuning slide. I was looking into a 73h valve section too, but that doesn’t seem like it’s going to happen so this would be my next option.
I thought I'd like to do this to my 72H when a big band I'm in started adding tunes to the book with a lot of low B's and C's. Even a couple of bass bone features with low B's.

But, I just started practicing my e pull playing and kept at it until it was second nature. Don't be lazy, work at it hard. You will be surprised how easy it gets.

When I look at a new piece of music the first thing I do is scan it for low B's. If it has some I look to see where in the music I can make the pull and where I can push it back in. Some tunes I find I play the whole thing pulled to E. I also mark it near the title wit "E Pull" so the next time it gets called up I know an e pull is needed.

Also, practice ghosting low C and low B so when they are just passing tones in a lick you don't have to pull.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

It's possible, but it would take a lot of time and money and a good tech.

There's a reason we have double valve basses now.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Elow

Post by Elow »

Sounds like mastering the E attachment is going to be the easiest way to solve my problem. Thanks for the advice
fsgazda

Post by fsgazda »

Thein made one like this, but I don't think that it went into production.

https://www.facebook.com/benvandijkbass ... =3&theater
Frank S. Gazda
Professor of Music, Delaware State University
Freelance Low Brass, Mid-Atlantic
www.firststatebrass.com
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

That is a model they produce, actually. The Bartok model.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher

Return to “Modification & Repair”