Satin Finish

jimmymclark

Satin Finish

Post by jimmymclark »

I've never owned a satin finish instrument--are there any noticeable differences in playing characteristics?

I'm thinking about buying a used horn in yellow brass, lacquered, normal wear. If I wanted to have that modified to a satin finish, who would I need to contact? Is it something that can even be done after-the-fact to a stock horn? Is it cost-efficient?

Thanks for any help.
Jimmy
BGuttman

Re: Satin Finish

Post by BGuttman »

First, what the satin finish does to your horn depends on how it is done.

If the horn is sandblasted o scratch finished, there are micro indentations in the metal . If too much metal is removed it will change the way it plays. Or it may make no difference at all.

If the satin finish is an additional coat of lacquer it will probably deaden the horn a lot. If it is stripped and relacquered with a satin finish lacquer it may play the same as a normal horn.

It won't enhance the value of your horn and you can consider the money spent on achieving it sunk cost. If you like the appearance, great. If not, you wasted money.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Bonearzt

Re: Satin Finish

Post by Bonearzt »

Hi Jimmy, as with anytime you change something, it may or may not affect how the horn plays or sounds.
But I'd say this would change it somewhat as the lacquer would be stripped first, then brushed, and then relacquered (possibly).
Definitely can be done to used horns, no problem.

IMHO, it's mostly a cosmetic effect.

Thanks!
Eric
Eric Edwards
Professional Instrument Repair

"If you must choose between two evils, choose the one you haven't tried yet."
"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles

Return to “Modification & Repair”