Cool Winds Plastic Trombone

BGuttman

Cool Winds Plastic Trombone

Post by BGuttman »

I got a Cool Winds plastic trombone (with the F-attachment). I'm not crazy about the mouthpiece supplied, and my regular large shank mouthpieces wobble. I will try a Remington today, although it doesn't go in that far (a little over 1/2 inch -- maybe 14 mm).

The leadpipe seems kinda loose. Has anybody tied replacing it? I realize the leadpipe will probably cost more than the horn did, but I'd like to be able to play the thing for Christmas.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Amconk

Re: Cool Winds Plastic Trombone

Post by Amconk »

I had a blue one. The leadpipe was super tight on that one. But it took a standard large shank mouthpiece just fine. I never could get a decent sound out of mine. Very stuffy and nasally sounding. I ended up selling it because it just sat here.
Michael Conkey
Southern Oregon Trombonist

-Besson Be944 Sovereign with Hagmann
-Holton TR-140 “monster” valve
-Modified Schiller 7B clone
-King 4B with custom bell
-Jin Bao Alto
BGuttman

Re: Cool Winds Plastic Trombone

Post by BGuttman »

Amconk wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:41 am I had a blue one. The leadpipe was super tight on that one. But it took a standard large shank mouthpiece just fine. I never could get a decent sound out of mine. Very stuffy and nasally sounding. I ended up selling it because it just sat here.
Mine is yellow. If I had my druthers I'd have a purple one. Then I could go out in a Barney costume :tongue:

Mine plays like it has a leak somewhere. Slide section appears to be OK. I can blow the slide off stopping the other end. Can't find any loose or broken joints. Tuning slides are easy to move, but seem to hold a setting.

I wedged in my standard shank mouthpiece and found the leadpipe collar rotating when trying to remove the mouthpiece. I suspect I could use a large shank metal mouthpiece to help remove the leadpipe but I don't want to try that yet.

It was cheap enough that it could become a wall hanger if all else fails.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"

Return to “Modification & Repair”