BAC and my Kanstul Contra Slide

Johnstad

BAC and my Kanstul Contra Slide

Post by Johnstad »

Good Evening Everybody, I hope this finds everyone doing well. I wanted to share a recent “Win” that has significantly impacted my Contra playing.

About a year ago, my friend Graham Middleton looked at both of my Kanstul Contra Slides and advised me of the low compression he was noticing with them. The only solution would be to get new outer tubes re-drawn and to have the slides completely re-built. At the time, we couldn’t find a solution.

Fast forward to this Spring, I reached out to B.A.C. Musical Instruments "Best American Craftsmen"about taking a look at my Kanstul Slides. Since they purchased a lot of the assets from Kanstul after the shut down, I thought this would be a possible avenue of help.

I got paired up with Kevin Stiles to help me through this. After receiving my slide, he measured the compression level at 40%. Yes, 40%. I have been playing on a slide that has basically resulted in me fighting the instrument for the last 5 years.

Kevin kept me updated throughout the whole process, as this was an out fo the box type of project for them. As they said during our intitial conversations “We love a challenge at BAC.” They definitely took this one on and looked at all options to help me.

Well, the slide was re-built with new lighter, outer tubes with a compression level between 65-70%. I received it a couple of weeks ago.

This has been an absolute game changer. From initial starting of the note, to the partials in the staff, above the staff, intonation, finishing notes, phrasing, everything! I feel I am making music with the instrument and not fighting it so much anymore. And yes, I am going to get my other slide done as well.

BAC certainly lived up to their name in how this was handled. I would highly recommend them to everyone on this forum that might be having challenges with their instrument. I am certainly grateful with what Kevin and BAC did for me.
tbonesullivan

Re: BAC and my Kanstul Contra Slide

Post by tbonesullivan »

So both had that issue? That's a bit disconcerting, as I have two Kanstul trombones, though I can say I've never noticed any leaking or compression issues with the horns, or any playing issues.

How exactly do they measure slide compression anyway? Do they hook it up to some kind of device, or is it more cleaning the inside and outside, plugging the two ends, and seeing how long it takes to fall down?
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

tbonesullivan wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:13 am ...

How exactly do they measure slide compression anyway? Do they hook it up to some kind of device, or is it more cleaning the inside and outside, plugging the two ends, and seeing how long it takes to fall down?
Osmun Brass uses a machine. I'm not sure what exactly they do but involves an air pump.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Johnstad

Post by Johnstad »

tbonesullivan wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:13 am So both had that issue? That's a bit disconcerting, as I have two Kanstul trombones, though I can say I've never noticed any leaking or compression issues with the horns, or any playing issues.

Yes, both slides had that issue. It's been a (frustrating) journey getting this right.

The plugging the two ends how long it takes to fall down is what we did before I sent it to BAC. It dropped immediately.

The techs there had their own measurements...I'm not certain what was used. I only know that the slide that was sent back to me played infinitely better than when I sent it. I played on the other slide to compare and the start/finish of notes, breaths needed, core of sound were all noticeable.

I sent the other one over to them today. I'm enjoying the improvements immensely.

Return to “Modification & Repair”