3B Foggy inners

Basie1955

3B Foggy inners

Post by Basie1955 »

I have a 3B with inner tubes that have a dull and foggy appearance. I believe it’s been stored in its case for a long period. Wondering what that is. And if it’s possible that chemical ‘off-gassing’ from the inside of the case causes this?

What’s best method to make them slick and shiny again?
I suppose they could be buffed but I’d rather try a milder method first.

Thanks
B-
mickael57280

Re: 3B Foggy inners

Post by mickael57280 »

Maybe 0000 Steel wool but I think it's chrome plating damage.
Elow

Post by Elow »

I usually run them through chemicals and it gets rid of the fog almost immediately. Just take it to your local repair tech and have them clean it.
Bonearzt

Post by Bonearzt »

Elow wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:58 am I usually run them through chemicals and it gets rid of the fog almost immediately. Just take it to your local repair tech and have them clean it.
Best advice ALL day!!!
Eric Edwards
Professional Instrument Repair

"If you must choose between two evils, choose the one you haven't tried yet."
"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

King trombones, at least through the 1990s, had chrome plating on their inner slides that had a slightly different look than most other brands. Whereas Conn, Bach and some others had inner slides with a "high-gloss" look, the Kings had a "slightly-brushed" look. I don't know if it was the chrome alloy or if they left a brushed finish on the slides before applying the chrome plating.

I have not seen too many King pro trombones from the last 15-20 years come through my shop. Most of the newer Kings that have come through have been student models and they have the high-gloss chrome plating. This would make sense because of how Conn-Selmer has streamlined their production. Most likely, an assortment of brands are being made with the same tooling, polishing and plating.

I do not advise that you try to make the earlier King inner slides have a high-gloss look. Buffing the slides could easily remove the chrome playing and leave spots of bare nickel. As advised before, take it to a tech who knows what the slides are supposed to look like.
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast

Return to “Modification & Repair”