3BF mod: What would you do with this?

Posaunus

Re: 3BF mod: What would you do with this?

Post by Posaunus »

Thrawn22 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:46 pm The only reason i can see having a 3BF is for pit work. Beyond that i felt having a small rotor on a small horn was pointless. That's why i had the rotor taken off of my 3BF when i owned on. Kings are great playing horns but i prefer Conns because for me, my 6H has been more versatile than my Kings ever were.

Having said that i have never really relied on rotors outside of bass bone.
Perhaps you do not, but a lot of us use (sometimes even "rely on") rotors, and trombones with rotors, outside of bass bone.

I have used my King 3BF – yes, for pit work, but also for so many other playing opportunities. This is an incredibly versatile "small horn" which can be used to play lead (and surely 2nd and 3rd parts) in a big band (I've done it), in brass chamber ensembles (quintets, trombone choirs, ...), brass bands and wind ensembles, jazz groups – even in orchestras on much repertoire. With the right mouthpiece, the 3BF can sound surprisingly "large!"

I'm also a Conn lover, but I can't imagine doing everything I can do on a 3BF with a Conn 6H. :idk:
Jharp3

Post by Jharp3 »

I agree with Magnumh, BurgerBob and Finetales. 3BF has such versatility in commercial bands. Especially working in a three piece horn section. The trigger comes in handy to crank out low E's and D's where the bari would generally take up space. It sounds good on the microphone and still lets you get step on the gas for solos and playing high to support the trumpet. I recently (October, similar story and look to Magnumh) bought my 3bf after playing a 2b in a commercial horn band for 20 years. Though I love the laser like cutting power of the 2b, the 3bf provides a bigger tool box.

If you are playing in a big band or combo, you probably should stick with the straight horn. But if your book of business includes anything from pit orchestra, vegas style show bands, Horn or wedding bands than the versatility of the this large small bore with f attachment can't be beat. I am even comfortable switching mouthpieces and playing chamber groups or brass quintet.

Regarding Modifications: Depending on the year of the horn, you may want to switch out the lead pipe from the two piece to a single piece lead pipe. Mine is a 1986 and is very tight. When it gets warm I feel like I lose compression. I have heard that this is from a gap between the two pieces of the leadpipe. I hope to get it over to the Brass Medic for a Noah Gladstone refit once business picks up again. There is a whole seperate thread on this issue.

Congrats on the new to you horn. Hope you have fun with it.
Last edited by Jharp3 on Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thrawn22

Post by Thrawn22 »

Posaunus wrote:
Perhaps you do not, but a lot of us use (sometimes even "rely on") rotors, and trombones with rotors, outside of bass bone.

I have used my King 3BF – yes, for pit work, but also for so many other playing opportunities. This is an incredibly versatile "small horn" which can be used to play lead (and surely 2nd and 3rd parts) in a big band (I've done it), in brass chamber ensembles (quintets, trombone choirs, ...), brass bands and wind ensembles, jazz groups – even in orchestras on much repertoire. With the right mouthpiece, the 3BF can sound surprisingly "large!"

I'm also a Conn lover, but I can't imagine doing everything I can do on a 3BF with a Conn 6H. :idk:
My 6H has been my go to do it all horn Since i got it and I'll most likely be buried with it. I have very seldom been called to do anything out of my reach(;p). I was happy using a single trigger bass till i kept catching Tom Kubis charts and his endless low Bs.

But to each their own. Thank god for variety.
6H (K series)
6H (early 60s)
4H/5H custom bell
78H ('53)
78H (K series)
78H/36BG /2547 slide
8H
88HN
71H (dependant valves)
72H
35H alto (K series)
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

I play in two Senior Big Bands playing lead or 2nd. A small bore with F (King 3B, Olds Recording/F, etc.) would be perfect for the few times I need to cover a low note or two while still being able to play the higher parts. I can sorta do it with my Bach 36C (with F), but I really like the smaller horns for this application.

For the record, I have a Yamaha large bore (with Shires 1G bell) for symphony, and a King 7B bass; as well as a nice Conn 40H Ballroom and Holton Stratodyne small bores.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Slidennis

Post by Slidennis »

Strange...

Nobody ever mentionned the use of the F valve as a trill valve...

I had trills in a "Rabbi Jacob" score in an orchestra (or any style of Klesmer music...) and now in a Fugees' version of "Killing me softly with this song"...

And I always found the F attachment to be the most beautiful counterweitgh there could be...
Denis the musician wannabe trying to depart from gear geeking... :shuffle:
Amconk

Post by Amconk »

Make it convertible. Best of both worlds!

I’ve never seen a convertible 3B... I think I may have just found a new project...
Michael Conkey
Southern Oregon Trombonist

-Besson Be944 Sovereign with Hagmann
-Holton TR-140 “monster” valve
-Modified Schiller 7B clone
-King 4B with custom bell
-Jin Bao Alto
MagnumH

Post by MagnumH »

Amconk wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:06 pm Make it convertible. Best of both worlds!

I’ve never seen a convertible 3B... I think I may have just found a new project...
I’d be happy to loan you one if you want something to experiment on!

When Western New York eventually warms up I’m gonna try a DIY lacquer removal and brushed finish on it, Eazy-Off style. I haven’t got much to lose, so it’s worth the shot!
Matt Hawke
Trombonist/Arranger/Bandleader
White Hot Brass Band // The Sideways // The Brass Machine
Stable: BAC Paseo W6 w/ DE MTN102 B+3; King 3B/F w/ Bach 4C; King 2B w/ King 12C
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Amconk wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:06 pm Make it convertible. Best of both worlds!

Did you ever have a crack at the convertible 3b?

Return to “Modification & Repair”