O. E. Thayer double valves help.

Bassbone85

O. E. Thayer double valves help.

Post by Bassbone85 »

Hello!

First post! So I have set of double valves from O. E. Thayer, but unfortunately I'm missing some parts. Could anyone point me in the right direction to where to get extra parts? Or maybe someone here has something they are wiling to sell? Please let me know. I've attached pictures of the valve section.
I think I need a small brace for the F valve section (it's broken), one large brace to connect to the bell, finger set, thumb set and a tuning slide for the G flat valve.
Do you spot anything else that I would need?

Thanks in advance!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hornbuilder

Re: O. E. Thayer double valves help.

Post by hornbuilder »

Looks like you almost have a standard bass trombone valve section "kit" from Thayer.

There are a few parts missing from what should be there (obviously) and there are numerous parts needed to build a complete valve section. Specific parts would be determined by the brand of horn these may be mounted on.

What did you pay for it? Would you be interested in flipping it?
Matthew Walker
Owner/Craftsman, M&W Custom Trombones, LLC, Jackson, Wisconsin.
Former Bass Trombonist, Opera Australia, 1991-2006
Bassbone85

Post by Bassbone85 »

I have a Bach 50 I would like to put these on. Just trying to find the missing parts. I got this basically for free.
pompatus

Post by pompatus »

Have you checked some of the parts packages and lists at the O.E. Thayer site? Here's a link that may be helpful:

http://www.thayervalve.us/

Also, here's a pic of their double bass unit:

Bassbone85

Post by Bassbone85 »

Yeah. I've tried contacting them via email without response. I read somewhere on here that they're out of business an has closed shop, unfortunately.
BrexWindWright

Post by BrexWindWright »

https://instrumentinnovations.com/store ... lide-crook

Instrument Innovations has a great deal more these days and may be able to provide the components you need. Give them a shout if you have questions, too!
Fix it. Make it better.
Elow

Post by Elow »

BrexWindWright wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:36 am https://instrumentinnovations.com/store ... lide-crook

Instrument Innovations has a great deal more these days and may be able to provide the components you need. Give them a shout if you have questions, too!
Kim is super helpful, just send her an email and i’m sure she’ll do everything to help you. Highly recommend
Bassbone85

Post by Bassbone85 »

BrexWindWright wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:36 am https://instrumentinnovations.com/store ... lide-crook

Thank you! This is most helpful!
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

How are the cores looking on those? What about the valve bearings? Are you going to be doing the fitting yourself?

I believe that the O.E. thayer valves do not have a replaceable top bearing, so if the top plate is worn and there is a lot of slop side to side, it may be more trouble than its worth to try to bring them back to operational status.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
Bassbone85

Post by Bassbone85 »

tbonesullivan wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:03 am How are the cores looking on those? What about the valve bearings? Are you going to be doing the fitting yourself?

I believe that the O.E. thayer valves do not have a replaceable top bearing, so if the top plate is worn and there is a lot of slop side to side, it may be more trouble than its worth to try to bring them back to operational status.
Good to know. These have actually never been used.
Bassbone85

Post by Bassbone85 »

Elow wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:42 am

Kim is super helpful, just send her an email and i’m sure she’ll do everything to help you. Highly recommend
Thank you! I will!
BenBem

O E Thayer double valves help

Post by BenBem »

I have an 547 Edwards CR-E valve. I love it
I had a Thayer valve long ago that I traded someone for the regular valve. My neck is big and there is so much mass to the valve I felt the response was slow.
I bought the CR-E valve about 7 years ago. It has been great for me. The horn is very responsive. It is not just the valve but the bracing that makes the valve section work. I use this valve with two different horns set ups. One is a brass bell and the other is sterling silver. The brass bell is normally without the valve.
The pillar is really helpful too.
For a 547 horn the CR-E is perfect. For a bass I am sure I would prefer it to the big valves. I can see a bass player used to the new equipment wanting the Thayers. I think I would use a duobore slide instead so that bell could light up better.
whitbey

Re: O E Thayer double valves help

Post by whitbey »

BenBem wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:02 am I have an 547 Edwards CR-E valve. I love it
I had a Thayer valve long ago that I traded someone for the regular valve. My neck is big and there is so much mass to the valve I felt the response was slow.
I bought the CR-E valve about 7 years ago. It has been great for me. The horn is very responsive. It is not just the valve but the bracing that makes the valve section work. I use this valve with two different horns set ups. One is a brass bell and the other is sterling silver. The brass bell is normally without the valve.
The pillar is really helpful too.
For a 547 horn the CR-E is perfect. For a bass I am sure I would prefer it to the big valves. I can see a bass player used to the new equipment wanting the Thayers. I think I would use a duobore slide instead so that bell could light up better.

Ditto
Had a Thayer. Now the CR-E. Incredible valve and bracing!
Used on two setups. Sterling silver bell and brass bell.
And with a 547/562 nickle slide, a 525/547 nickle slide and a 547/562 brass slide with over-sleeves.
Edwards Sterling bell 525/547
Edwards brass bell 547/562
Edwards Jazz w/ Ab valve 500"/.508"
Markus Leuchter Alto Trombone
Bass Bach 50 Bb/F/C dependent.
Cerveny oval euphonium
Full list in profile

Return to “Modification & Repair”