Removing lacquer on an Olds Flugabone

JLivi

Removing lacquer on an Olds Flugabone

Post by JLivi »

So I have an Olds Marching Trombone (flugabone). The lacquer looks awful. I think it’s time to remove. What’s the easiest and best way to remove it?

I feel like different brands from different eras require different techniques. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
King 2b+
King 3b
King 3b(f)
Conn 79h
Kanstul 1585
Olds O-21 Marching Trombone (Flugabone)
Bonearzt

Re: Removing lacquer on an Olds Flugabone

Post by Bonearzt »

Citristrip might work, Easy-Off oven cleaner, Aircraft Remover from an auto body paint shop, sometimes even boiling water!

Eric
Eric Edwards
Professional Instrument Repair

"If you must choose between two evils, choose the one you haven't tried yet."
"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles
JLivi

Post by JLivi »

Bonearzt wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:15 pm Citristrip might work, Easy-Off oven cleaner, Aircraft Remover from an auto body paint shop, sometimes even boiling water!

Eric
I was hoping for boiling water. If that didn’t work I was going to go the citristrip route.

Is it really as easy as boiling water in a kettle and just pour away?!?
King 2b+
King 3b
King 3b(f)
Conn 79h
Kanstul 1585
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

JLivi wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:47 pm
I was hoping for boiling water. If that didn’t work I was going to go the citristrip route.

Is it really as easy as boiling water in a kettle and just pour away?!?
Bach lacquer can be removed by boiling water (doesn't come off that easily -- you may need to do several applications). So can air dry lacquers (the rattle-can variety).

Some horns have epoxy or acrylic lacquers and these don't come off with boiling water. And they take a long immersion in Citri-Strip to remove.

Note that acrylic lacquer seems to be only on Chinese instruments (and not all of them). Epoxy is used on King and Conn. Probably later Olds as well.

Only way to tell if the boiling water will work is to drop the thing in a VERY hot bathtub. If the lacquer starts to bubble you are good to strip.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
JLivi

Post by JLivi »

Wel I decided to experiment last night. I lightly took 320 grit sand paper to the bell and liberally put on citristrip. I also wrapped it in Saran Wrap in hopes that it won’t dry out as bad.

Now to decide to check on it at the 12, 24 or 36 hour mark. Im quite impatient.
King 2b+
King 3b
King 3b(f)
Conn 79h
Kanstul 1585
sporto

Post by sporto »

My experiences, Olds lacquer comes off with boiling water. And I used a teflon-proof scrubbing pad. No scratches.
mlshermancpa

Post by mlshermancpa »

Depends on the type of lacquer. I've done 4 trombones with epoxy lacquer and I first cover the horn with a paint stripper such as Zip Strip. This stuff is pretty nasty so you have to use gloves and work in an open area. After the horn soaks for several days I use a sponge with a coarse side and a tooth brush to cut through any remaining gunk. Once the lacquer is basically dissolved I use Mother's Mag Wheel polish to get off any remaining residue. I never use anything super abrasive like steel wool and the Mother's seems to work great without being overly abrasive.
Lastbone

Post by Lastbone »

Try the hot to boiling water. I stripped the Conn epoxy lacquer off with very hot water when neither zipstrip or lacquer thinner touched it. The hot water caused the brass to expand and flex just enough to make the lacquer pop off in little flakes. Once it came off, mostly I only needed to polish, I think I used simichrome polish.

Warren

Return to “Modification & Repair”