Conn 38h repair

dxhall

Conn 38h repair

Post by dxhall »

D936924C-C056-4A8C-98C7-FC037FD36681.jpeg
I recently acquired a Conn 38h. The serial number indicates a manufacture date of 1929.

The bell has very elaborate engraving and only one small dent. Unfortunately, the TIS section Is broken, as shown in the photo.

I haven’t had much luck finding someone who is interested in repairing this. Any suggestions or advice? Is this not worth the cost?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Burgerbob

Re: Conn 38h repair

Post by Burgerbob »

Honestly? I'm not sure I would repair it. They're not bad horns, but a ballroom TIS in .485 is pretty niche already, much less one that needs repair.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

You are going to need somebody who's a good slide man. Also, I think there may be a part that is broken (the brace with the slot for the Opera Wheel) and some missing parts (the Opera Wheel and a spring for starters).

You might want to see if you can "score" a complete slide section for a 38H or 40H. If you are near New Hampshire I have a 40H that's kinda ratty but has a decent slide which I'd let you try.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

Does that spring even go somewhere? Also, I don't know whether this TIS design uses a single tube for the inner slide and inner tuning slide, or two. Either way, something is broken, and you will have a fun time trying to get tubing that will match exactly for the TIS mechanism.

Here's an old reverb listing for a silver plated example:

https://reverb.com/item/5828450-conn-38 ... mbone-nice

Honestly, I am also not really sure it is worth fixing. The 38H Artist Ball-Room is not really a typical horn, even for a small bore. The bell looks to be shorter and set farther back than on most trombones, which apparently was a feature to allow easier use of a wow-wow
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
dxhall

Post by dxhall »

Thanks for the responses. I don’t exactly need a small bore TIS horn, but the engraving on this one is quite striking, and the inner slides look virtually new. My assumption would be that this horn was unplayed for most of the last 90 years, and then someone with limited knowledge (and no common sense) tried to move the TIS mechanism.

I’ll look for another slide.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

dxhall wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:09 pm I’ll look for another slide.
Check with DJ Kennedy
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

I would get outer tubes that fit and make a new non-tuning outer slide with the parts you already have.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."

Return to “Modification & Repair”