Overhauling

6foot

Overhauling

Post by 6foot »

Hello guys!I would like to hear from you all the various shops that are around from that has preform overhauling work of your trombones.Im eager to see about more small business guys and not your mainstream shops.Please post pics to help me out.
Elow

Re: Overhauling

Post by Elow »

I just sold a 6h that need a good amount of work to a tech who use to work for shires when they first started out. He turned an ugly beast into looking new. I’ll try and get pics if i can
6foot

Post by 6foot »

I’ll be looking forward to that info @Elow
Thrawn22

Post by Thrawn22 »

6foot wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:07 pm I’ll be looking forward to that info @Elow
Me too.

Generally speaking, most players stray away from relaquered horns. But sometimes a horn needs to be fixed up pretty like.
6H (K series)
6H (early 60s)
4H/5H custom bell
78H ('53)
78H (K series)
78H/36BG /2547 slide
8H
88HN
71H (dependant valves)
72H
35H alto (K series)
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

There are several excellent independent brass repair techs around the country. Several who post on TromboneChat. If you're lucky, one of them lives near you, so you won't have to engage in the risky (and increasingly expensive) business of shipping a trombone.

Where are you located?
6foot

Post by 6foot »

Posaunus wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:34 pm There are several excellent independent brass repair techs around the country. Several who post on TromboneChat. If you're lucky, one of them lives near you, so you won't have to engage in the risky (and increasingly expensive) business of shipping a trombone.

Where are you located?
Thanks!Virgina my state and Hampton is my city
6foot

Post by 6foot »

Thrawn22 wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:27 pm
6foot wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:07 pm I’ll be looking forward to that info @Elow
Me too.

Generally speaking, most players stray away from relaquered horns. But sometimes a horn needs to be fixed up pretty like.
Yes it seems very much a no no.But I don’t have problems breaking it in.And I just Love the beauty of it.
noordinaryjoe

Post by noordinaryjoe »

6foot wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:02 pm
Thrawn22 wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:27 pm

Me too.

Yes it seems very much a no no.But I don’t have problems breaking it in.And I just Love the beauty of it.
I've not had this done before, but I have considered it. What are the issues or reservations about a re-lacquered trombone?
Yamaha YBL-612R II
YSL-651
Schiller Heritage Bb/C (YSL-350C clone)
Pirate
CharlieB

Post by CharlieB »

"Yes it seems very much a no no. But I don’t have problems breaking it in.And I just Love the beauty of it."

If you just want a pretty horn, there are myriad shops who do excellent buff and re-lacquer work.
An "overhaul" would include slide alignment/repair.
Just FYI: An interesting video prepared by a tech who has done some excellent work for me.....
http://www.oberloh.com/SPL/spl1.htm

Return to “Modification & Repair”