Wide slide ergonomics?

Hobart

Wide slide ergonomics?

Post by Hobart »

I was playing my Reynolds bass trombone for an extended period of time, and I noticed the slide is a little bit wider than I'm used to and the horn is not particularly a fantastic example of ergonomic design.

I'm used to playing on narrower slides, and the wide slide doesn't feel to great with my extraordinarily average hand size. I'm going to a Contempora bass slide from slides like those found on an 18H or a Yamaha 548.

Are there any lower-budget solutions you folks found work for you? I don't want to put $500 into a $500 horn, but if there's something that does wonders for like $50 or less I'd like to hear it.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
BGuttman

Re: Wide slide ergonomics?

Post by BGuttman »

Try changing the way you hold the horn. Instead of the index finger on the mouthpiece, try just having it rest on the fixed slide brace.

Sometimes having a finger ring installed touching the upper cork barrel and the fixed slide brace (just under the mouthpiece) can help. Instead of a finger on the mouthpiece you just put it in the ring.

Both available for well under $500.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

Narrow slides are uncomfortable on my neck. Guess there's problems either way.
Elow

Post by Elow »

I actually prefer wider slides when they have a ring on them. I made a ring for my edwards slide and it was pretty easy. I would go to your local tech and have them install a ring, but make sure you are there so you can tell them where to put it so it’s actually comfortable.

Return to “Modification & Repair”