Return or repair?

Elow

Return or repair?

Post by Elow »

The guy i bought it from says it fits any shires bass trombone. Well no. I’m imagining all i have to do is move the entire thing over a bit and resolver but i’m not sure if it’s worth the hassle. It was cheap and i don’t really need it but some times it’s nice to not have a second valve. What would you do?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Elow

Re: Return or repair?

Post by Elow »

So i just unsoldered the whole part that screws together and everything was great until i tried to put the tuning slide on, not a shires part. So now i can either order the male tuning slide part or just forget about it and throw it in my part box
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Bummer. Most of the people on this website are not techs, and either pay their tech to fix it if possible or just buy drop in parts from the factory. The techs here could probably build a working section from the ground up.

So, you could pay a tech to fix it and order the right parts, or build them yourself.
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

Was it an original Shires part, or was it something that had been fabricated? Those connectors are pretty specific to Shires.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

tbonesullivan wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:15 am Was it an original Shires part, or was it something that had been fabricated? Those connectors are pretty specific to Shires.
They're not that hard to get from Shires, though, if someone made it.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Elow

Post by Elow »

Im pretty sure it was aftermarket. The lacquer started discoloring when i put flux on it, no heat or anything just flux and it turned a pasty white. I think im just gonna order the parts and finish it
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

Elow wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:06 pm Im pretty sure it was aftermarket. The lacquer started discoloring when i put flux on it, no heat or anything just flux and it turned a pasty white. I think im just gonna order the parts and finish it
You are aware that flux is pretty corrosive, right? If it was nitro lacquer it'll readily react with flux, especially depending on the type used.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
Elow

Post by Elow »

Yes, i was just saying, no lacquer that i’ve worked on that has been from a factory has done that, so it must not be from a factory.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Could be an air dry lacquer. If it's not cured it is susceptible to attack by the solvent in your flux.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"

Return to “Modification & Repair”