Cutting bells

Elow

Cutting bells

Post by Elow »

I want to cut a bell and use the flare with a plate soldered on the bottom to empty my spit into. I’ll probably take it off a junk bell so i don’t need to worry about damaging anything. What would i use to cut it?
BGuttman

Re: Cutting bells

Post by BGuttman »

Hack saw works good. Jeweler's saw works good. Trick is to mark a nice saw cut that will be pretty flat when you are done. Then use a belt sander or sandpaper on a flat plate to even the cut for soldering.

People cutting bells to make screw bells need to make sure to cut where the bell is the same diameter as the ring you will install.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

I have a video of John Sandhagen doing it to one of my bells with a hacksaw. Of course you want to remove as little material as possible, so a thinner blade is better.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Burgerbob wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:27 pm I have a video of John Sandhagen doing it to one of my bells with a hacksaw. Of course you want to remove as little material as possible, so a thinner blade is better.
With this project, it probably doesn't matter how much material is slagged. :shock:
Elow

Post by Elow »

Burgerbob wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:27 pm I have a video of John Sandhagen doing it to one of my bells with a hacksaw. Of course you want to remove as little material as possible, so a thinner blade is better.
A link would be great, just looked from oldest to newest and couldnt find anything, but then again i judged off thumbnail
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Elow wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:58 pm
A link would be great, just looked from oldest to newest and couldnt find anything, but then again i judged off thumbnail
Oh it's not on youtube. It's on my phone where it will stay haha.
mrdeacon

Post by mrdeacon »

Burgerbob wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:10 pm
Elow wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:58 pm

I feel like you might have posted it on Facebook or something at one point?
Rath R1 2000s, Elliott XT
Bach 42 1974, Elliott XT
Holton 169 1965, Elliott LB
Minick Bass Trombone 1980s, Elliott LB
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

mrdeacon wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:27 pm
Burgerbob wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:10 pm

I feel like you might have posted it on Facebook or something at one point?
I think you're right. Maybe just a photo?
bigbandbone

Post by bigbandbone »

Draw a line all the way around the bell where you want the final cut. Cut the bell off about 4 inches above the line with a hack saw. Next, with a good quality tin snips, slowly and carefully cut diagonally down to the line and then all the way around on the line.

When I used to build tubas and sousaphones for King I did this thousands of times to shorten branches, bows, and bell knuckles to final length!
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

bigbandbone wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:56 am Draw a line all the way around the bell where you want the final cut. Cut the bell off about 4 inches above the line with a hack saw. Next, with a good quality tin snips, slowly and carefully cut diagonally down to the line and then all the way around on the line.

When I used to build tubas and sousaphones for King I did this thousands of times to shorten branches, bows, and bell knuckles to final length!
Might try wrapping tape around the spot you want. The taper will require a few pieces to cover a circle. To draw the circle, you can find something of the right height to hold your pencil, then stand the bell on the flare and spin it against your pencil to get consistent height. A pen might make a better line. Even better could be a scribe without the tape.

Or maybe you could fit your circular bottom in the bell however you want, then cut below it any old way you want, then sneak up on the bottom of the disk however you want. Tin snips as mentioned above would be perfect.
bigbandbone

Post by bigbandbone »

baileyman wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:21 am
bigbandbone wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:56 am Draw a line all the way around the bell where you want the final cut. Cut the bell off about 4 inches above the line with a hack saw. Next, with a good quality tin snips, slowly and carefully cut diagonally down to the line and then all the way around on the line.

Might try wrapping tape around the spot you want. The taper will require a few pieces to cover a circle. To draw the circle, you can find something of the right height to hold your pencil, then stand the bell on the flare and spin it against your pencil to get consistent height. A pen might make a better line. Even better could be a scribe without the tape.

Or maybe you could fit your circular bottom in the bell however you want, then cut below it any old way you want, then sneak up on the bottom of the disk however you want. Tin snips as mentioned above would be perfect.
I think I would cut a hole in a piece of heavy cardboard. Drop it over the small end of the bell and let it down till it stops on the bell taper. Adjust the size of the whole until it settles in place right where yo want to cut. Then just trace around the bell with a Sharpie using the cardboard as a guide.

In the King factory because we would do the same operation over and over we had brass rings to do this with. They were sized for all the different branches, bows, and bells we would have to trim.
ChadA

Post by ChadA »

2781C17C-F43E-4241-BB58-79480CF826CB.jpeg
I bought a spittoon off eBay for trombone “spit.” The top looks a lot like a flared bell with a rolled edge except that the throat is huge.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

bigbandbone wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:46 am ...

I think I would cut a hole in a piece of heavy cardboard. Drop it over the small end of the bell and let it down till it stops on the bell taper. Adjust the size of the whole until it settles in place right where yo want to cut. Then just trace around the bell with a Sharpie using the cardboard as a guide.
Prolly best of all ideas right there.
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

Don't you work in a shop? Is there no one there to advise you? BTW bigbandbone's idea is great!
LIBrassCo

Post by LIBrassCo »

Take the bottom ring, drop on the bell. Level and solder. Take the finest jewelers saw, i think a 00 blade, and cut using the ring as a guide. Dont cut straight through rather score it all the way around, and continue to rotate and cut evenly. Eventually you'll break through. Then clean the cutp up on both sides. Works perfectly every time.
Check out our new bass trombone doubling mouthpieces: https://www.librassco.com/broadway-bass
sacfxdx

Post by sacfxdx »

WGWTR180 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:23 pm Don't you work in a shop? Is there no one there to advise you? BTW bigbandbone's idea is great!
You really don’t like Elow do you? You post some comments but never offer any advice. He’s trying to learn and ask questions before he does something. Why does that bother you?

I’m not looking to start a discussion I was just wondering.
Steve
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

sacfxdx wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:55 am
WGWTR180 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:23 pm Don't you work in a shop? Is there no one there to advise you? BTW bigbandbone's idea is great!
You really don’t like Elow do you? You post some comments but never offer any advice. He’s trying to learn and ask questions before he does something. Why does that bother you?

I’m not looking to start a discussion I was just wondering.
Well if you ask I'll answer. He's made some not so intelligent posts in the past. Calling people out for no reason is one of my reasons. So like him? I don't know him so it's not about liking. And actually since you said I don't offer advice PLEASE READ the end of my quote: "BTW bigbandbone's idea is great!" Not my advice but supporting another's great idea. Happy Thanksgiving. :)
CharlieB

Post by CharlieB »

Elow wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:53 pm I want to cut a bell and use the flare with a plate soldered on the bottom to empty my spit into. I’ll probably take it off a junk bell so i don’t need to worry about damaging anything. What would i use to cut it?
For spittoon accuracy............
Dremel tool with 1" diameter abrasive cut-off wheel

Return to “Modification & Repair”