Cutting bells down in size.

modelerdc

Cutting bells down in size.

Post by modelerdc »

Has anyone ever cut a bell down to a smaller size? For example I have a nice Bach 10 1/2 inch bell that I think would be even better cut down to 10 or 9 1/2 inches. Does anyone know of anyone who does this and what the cost might be? Thanks.
greenbean

Re: Cutting bells down in size.

Post by greenbean »

I have owned a horn with a bell that had been cut from 10 to 9.5 by Robb Stewart in So Cal. Beautifully done.
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

I think Robb may have been the only person doing it. He's now retired. I know Joe Stanko had some bells converted in just that same way, but I'm pretty sure it was Robb.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
TheBoneRanger

Post by TheBoneRanger »

I know Matt Walker (M&W trombones) cut down a Bach 50 bell for a friend of mine when he was living in Australia.

Andrew
JoeStanko

Post by JoeStanko »

Burgerbob wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:51 pm I think Robb may have been the only person doing it. He's now retired. I know Joe Stanko had some bells converted in just that same way, but I'm pretty sure it was Robb.
Yes, numerous done by Robb..look at his website showing a Holton 180 he did for me. He can unsolder or solder as per your preference and is a true craftsman.
mrdeacon

Post by mrdeacon »

Burgerbob wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:51 pm I think Robb may have been the only person doing it. He's now retired. I know Joe Stanko had some bells converted in just that same way, but I'm pretty sure it was Robb.
Wow when did Rob retire? Amazing craftsman but definitely was pretty curmudgeonly when I met him in high school lol.
Rath R1 2000s, Elliott XT
Bach 42 1974, Elliott XT
Holton 169 1965, Elliott LB
Minick Bass Trombone 1980s, Elliott LB
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

mrdeacon wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:27 pm
Wow when did Rob retire? Amazing craftsman but definitely was pretty curmudgeonly when I met him in high school lol.
He cleaned my euph in maybe... 2017? At that point he was planning on moving north somewhere on the 5. Since then he has moved and doesn't have a shop, I'm pretty sure.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
modelerdc

Post by modelerdc »

Actually this horn with the 10.5 bell plays exceptionally well. Best 50BL I'ved played. It might be better for me just to buy a regular 50B bell and make them interchangeable. The rest of the horn is duo Hagmanns and an Edward slide. As well as it plays I don't feel the over size bell is as suitable for general playing as the standard Bach bell.
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

Burgerbob wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:25 pmAt that point he was planning on moving north somewhere on the 5. Since then he has moved and doesn't have a shop, I'm pretty sure.
A couple years ago he was talking about transitioning to being "semi-retired" and moving up to (IIRC) the Santa Clarita Valley area.

Here's what he says on his website:
I’VE JUST CELEBRATED THE COMPLETION OF MY 40TH YEAR IN BUSINESS AND I CONTINUE TO CUT BACK MY WORK LOAD. I STILL HAVE A SMALL LIST OF USED BRASS INSTRUMENTS FOR SALE AND I TAKE ON INTERESTING PROJECTS AS I AM ABLE TO.
I wouldn't think cutting down a modern trombone bell would meet Robb's threshold for "interesting".
spencercarran

Post by spencercarran »

JoeStanko wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:56 pm
Yes, numerous done by Robb..look at his website showing a Holton 180 he did for me. He can unsolder or solder as per your preference and is a true craftsman.
How'd cutting the bell affect the 180's sound?

Return to “Modification & Repair”