Conn 62h slide for 112h?

MStarke

Conn 62h slide for 112h?

Post by MStarke »

Hi all,

do any of you know if the (new) 62h slides would fit on an (old) 112h bell section?

My 112h plays great and currently the slide is working well.
But it does show some wear and I might invest in a new slide at some point.

It seems like the slide for the 62h is much easier to get.
So it would be good to know if and how it works on the 112h.
Does it fit the receiver? Does it have the right length? Is there any other relevant difference? If yes, what's the effect?
Markus Starke
https://www.mst-studio-mouthpieces.com/

Alto: Conn 35h, Kanstul, Weril
Tenor: 2x Conn 6h, Blessing medium, Elkhart 88H, 88HT, Greenhoe 88HT, Heckel, Piering replica
Bass: Conn 112h/62h, Greenhoe TIS, Conn 60h/"62h"
Burgerbob

Re: Conn 62h slide for 112h?

Post by Burgerbob »

Yes, it will fit. Different construction though- it'll have oversleeves and different leadpipes.

Personally, I like how a bit heavier slides play. I quite liked the 112H I had with a modern Greenhoe 62H slide, and the leadpipe change was very welcome.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
MStarke

Post by MStarke »

Thanks, little heavier slides with exchangeable leadpipes, that was part of my thoughts.

Good to know that it may work - of course depending on myself.
Markus Starke

Tenor: 2x Conn 6h, Blessing medium, Elkhart 88H, 88HT, Greenhoe 88HT, Heckel, Piering replica
marccromme

Post by marccromme »

You could try a Conn SL 6262 slide with three exchangeable leadpipes. They are gone on ebay box open for around 1000 USD. Better check up on US DE import taxes though.
Elow

Post by Elow »

There’s a 112H for sale near me for like $800 i think, i can try and see if they’ll deliver, or i can message you their facebook.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

marccromme wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:00 pm You could try a Conn SL 6262 slide with three exchangeable leadpipes. They are gone on ebay box open for around 1000 USD. Better check up on US DE import taxes though.
This is the 62H slide we are referring to.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
MStarke

Post by MStarke »

Hi all,

thanks for the additional feedback.
Yes, if 62h slide it would be the SL 6262.
If I go that way, I would test it and buy new.
And I wouldn't buy this from the US as import to Germany is really expensive and does not give room for warranty, testing etc.

If I do this, I will give an update!
Markus Starke

MStarke

Post by MStarke »

I received the SL6262 slide a few days ago.
It fits well on the bell section, so technically everything fine.

After playing around a bit with the leadpipes, I have now used a Kanstul/Minick Replica OL.
The original Conn leadpipes are all a bit different and I may give them another shot.

Playing with the MST STUDIO R N mouthpiece. That's in the medium size range.

The heavier slide (as compared to the original lighter 112h slide) does change the character. All of the following is objective and my perception, so may be different for you:
Sound to me is overall darker and more stable. I would not say heavier, but it does not change colour as quickly as the lighter slide. For me that's a good and expected result.
Response is not quite as direct as with the lighter slide. For me that's an expected change and just something to get a little used to. Still very responsive overall.

For myself this is an improvement of the horn - although I initially only got the new slide because the older one was a little worn out.
I have not played many bass trombones in comparison recently but would say that the 112h can be a very good instrument if it fits your playing. For very heavy orchestra stuff I have my Throja...
Note that I have a rather old one with the Minick design elements. So this could be different for newer instruments.
Markus Starke

Return to “Modification & Repair”