Sheet Metal Double-Notch Snips

Crazy4Tbone86

Sheet Metal Double-Notch Snips

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

In search of sheet metal "double notch" snips. The exact tool is used in this video at the :49 point in this video:

I have some snips that make a single notch. The double notch snip appears to be a highly specialized tool.....cannot find it at any tool websites. If any instrument makers or techs out there know of a tool supplier who stocks this tool, I would appreciate the help. I just brazed some brass yesterday and I'm thinking the proper tool would have made the process much faster. Thanks!
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
robcat2075

Re: Sheet Metal Double-Notch Snips

Post by robcat2075 »

It seems like one advantage of that tool is that it leaves the center tab raised, whereas if you make two snips with the same blades that doesn't happen as easily.

Is that it?
>>Robert Holmén<<

Hear me as I play my horn

See my Spacepod movie
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

Yes......and making two snips for every point of connection with a metal shears can be time-consuming. I'm just looking for a tool that will save a little time. Most likely the tool will take several projects to "pay for itself."
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

Maybe I can help. I remembered I had an oddball snip in my toolbox, a Wiss M-41R. Looks like the tab is about 3/16 wide. I cut a piece of galvanized ductwork to show what it does. I never use it, so make me a reasonable offer and it's yours!
Wiss tab cutter.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

Hey Kingfan,

I really appreciate your help. The center tab that your tool creates is a little too wide. It turns out that Wiss makes a M4R tool that creates a tab that is more narrow, so I think I am going to get that tool. Thanks....your response definitely pointed me in the right direction.
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

My recollection is my Wiss pair came from an ordinary hardware store. Some people call this type "nibblers". Sheet metal guys also have air and electric powered versions.
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

Yes, quite readily available. Once I figured out the brand and model number of the tool, it was easy to find it available from multiple vendors.
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

Crazy4Tbone86 wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:21 am Hey Kingfan,

I really appreciate your help. The center tab that your tool creates is a little too wide. It turns out that Wiss makes a M4R tool that creates a tab that is more narrow, so I think I am going to get that tool. Thanks....your response definitely pointed me in the right direction.
That's what this group is for, helping each other out. Cheers!
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King

Return to “Modification & Repair”